Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum members,

This is my first post, so here goes.

Over the last few weeks I have picked a lot of useful information via the forum regarding the fitting of a pumped mixer shower.

Today I arranged for a plumber to call and give me a quote to fit the shower and pump.When I asked about the type of flange he would fit to the cylinder he said there was no need to fit one. He then indicated there was no need to go in the loft, as he would tee into the feed from the cwst to the cylinder.

From what I've read on the forum you need to fit a flange to ensure an air free flow and a new feed from the cwst direct to the pump.Any advice would be more than welcome.

Paul M

Sponsored Links
Hi Paul
A Surrey or Essex flange is not always necessary it all depends on your pump size and flow rate along with distance.
As for teeing into the feed from the cws to the hwc this is a big no.
As you would disrupt the supply to the hwc as it was feeding the pump.
You def need a seperate cold feed (not mains) for your pump.
Has your plumber started work yet?
What size pump are you using?
Pete

Get a new plumber quick before it's too late.

Thats about the worst advise in a long time.

Fit an Essex flange and a seperate cold from the storage tank, depending on the pump size you may even have to increase the cold feed to the cylinder.

And whatever you decide make it clear you will not pay unless satisfied with the outcome.

went to a job last month where a plumber was going to fit the pump under the bath and tee of the pipes just before the taps. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I dont fit shower pumps because of their unreliability.

However I do see a lot fitted as just described and working fine!

Tony

Stuart Turner are the best and you get what you pay for. Most of the pumps are reliable, if they are installed correctly.

For example; the cold feed to the cylinder should be at least the next size larger than the pump supply, to prevent air being drawn in and/or the pump running dry.

Stuart Turner are the best IMO too. Very good build quality and less strict fitting guidlines. Salamander pumps are ok but they are fussy sods and the helpdesk is a waste of time.

Even though I totally advocate the importance of correct pump installations, I have seen a few incorrectly fitted pumps, cheapy ones too, that; according to the customer, have been working for years hassle free. It's a funny old world innit?

It certainly is and I won`t fit any plastic bosdied pumps in my house ....In certain parts of sussex there is strange water :eek: Worked for a Housing Assn. and one of it`s sites of 200 units needed ALL the plastic taps replacing over a 5 year period where the tails had been eaten by someting in the water :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back