Fitting a shower pump: solutions to deal with asbestos CWST

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Appreciate some further advice:

On the top floor I have a hot water cylinder and on a platform above it an asbestos CWST. From this starting point I need to eventually have a nice shower running to keep the wife happy. The bathroom is on the same floor so currently there's no flow if you raise a shower head above waist height.

I've ruled out a combi (see a previous post for details) and moving the cwst into the loft (owing to cost/having to re-inforce joists). Current plan is to fit a negative head twin impeller pump connected to a thermostatic shower.

Issues:
1) I can't drill a hole into the asbestos tank for obvious reasons and as I understand it's advised not to tee off an existing feed (either to the cold taps or cylinder) to avoid dry running the pump.
2) also there's not enough space between the cylinder and cwst right above to fit a Surrey flange and I don't feel confident enough to fit an Essex. Again I understand this is best practice to avoid dry running.

So I see my main option to be to replace the CWST (and probably the cylinder as well to a new, more efficient one as it's not lagged). This also means I can easily fit a flange at the same time.

Any thoughts/advice on this?

Sponsored Links
As a fellow DIYer I think you have arrived at the right conclusion, assuming that an electric shower is not acceptable to 'er indoors.

try the triton t40, it connects onto mixer taps, no need for a flange if i remember correctly, it will need electrics work. google triton t40

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back