Advice re loft conversion...

masona said:
bpowell555 said:
So, to meet building reg it would pretty much need a full conversion? I.e. relocating the velux and replacing with escape velux; reinforce floor and fit bigger joists; check insulation and fire proofing all round; self closing doors on the ground and first floor; fire door access to loft room; mains linked fire alarms.........
Depends but a building surveyor will advise you more. The bottom of the velux escape window have to be reachable for the fireman, I think it was 1.7m maximum from the fascia board.

I'll drop the tape measure out tonite. If its within 1.7m then I might be able to get by with just a fire door, some self closing hinges, and a posh new velux :LOL:

Sponsored Links
bpowell555 said:
If its within 1.7m then I might be able to get by with just a fire door, some self closing hinges, and a posh new velux :LOL:

Willy Wonka said:
Escape windows are required to loft conversions as well as the protected escape route to the final outside exit - its not one or the other:

and a protected stair route - and insulation and ventilation to the loftroom - and suitable structural details - and sound provisions - and other stuff you need to design for

Mr Winston, go away :)

Where did you get that quote from Willy Wonka, was it on this thread?

Cheers!

I think you will find that the escape velux ( and it has to be one of the ones sold as such) has to have the BOTTOM between 600& 700MM from the edge of the roof )

you will also need an escape route to the ground floor, which is isolatable from the rest of the house ( firedoors) , its no good for it to stop in the bedroom, it will need to be walled off from the room.

as i have said before you really need to get some one to check out the sale as it sounds like it has been mishandled,

from you description you have only got a nice storage area!, and lots of issues if you plan to use it for anything else.

and dont forgat if you use it for storage and overload it you will be uninsured most likely

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

one final point which is worth making - ifs its not BCO approved, and fire safe then YOU may have trouble selling it in the future as the rules change ( like introducing sellers packs) , you keep saying you have indemnity, and it still seems worth getting a solicitor involved to check if you can claim against someone ( may even be the solicitor who handled the sale ) as some pretty serious ommisions on the approvals front seem to be apparent.

MOD

please see 10a

Sponsored Links
gazza2 said:
I think you will find that the escape velux ( and it has to be one of the ones sold as such) has to have the BOTTOM between 600& 700MM from the edge of the roof

I think the guidance has become confused. For loft conversions to 2 storey houses -

The maximum distance measured along the slope of the roof to the eaves is 1.7m. (it can be less than thiis but not more)

The minimum height of the bottom of the window measured vertically from the internal floor level is 600mm.

(These dimensions are achievable with most 30 degree + roofs)

Mr Winston

Thats the one point in the regs I actually understood - the diagram is quite clear. Reminds me I must drop a tape measure out the window.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back