Advice re plumber and shower tray not being level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a new bathroom suit fitted including shower enclosure (Aqata minimalist) on a 900 x 900 low profile tray.

The plumber is having problems making the shower enclosure fit flush and square.

One thing I have noticed is the shower tray is not level and runs down towards the door. To get the door to sit flush with the side panel the plumber has raised the bottom of the shower panel creating a 4-5mm gap at the bottom. This is worrying me because the glass panel should sit flush with the tray and be sealed by a thin bead of mastick. WIth the gap as it is the mastick bead will have to be more than thin.

What are my options now? Is it the plumbers responsibility to level the tray now, even if it means taking it up and re fitting ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The tray must be level or it will not drain properly, quite apart from any subsequent tiling being skew-whiff and the door not sitting on it properly. If the plumber laid the tray, who's responsibility do you think it is?

Lord only know what other nonsense your plumber has been up to if he thinks that this was a sensible approach :confused:

The tray must be level or it will not drain properly, quite apart from any subsequent tiling being skew-whiff and the door not sitting on it properly. If the plumber laid the tray, who's responsibility do you think it is?

Thanks,

The waste is the opposite side of the tray to the door so the water that sits on the top ledge of the tray runs back to the door.

What do I do now ?

Sponsored Links
to add further to this.

the plumber has fitted the enclosure but due to it not being square has not sealed it any where yet.

but everything els is done, i.e it has been tiled down to the tray, grouted and the tray sealed to the grout.

If the tray isn't level, and the tiles sit on top of the tray, then it's a reasonable conclusion to suggest that the tiles aren't level. Think you need to have words with the "plumber".

Hope you haven't paid him yet.

the tiles where fitted by someone else and i am very happy with these, the tray runs out in the corner which is not attached to any tiles, so any difference near the tiles is concealed by grout/sealant.

I am going to speak to plumber tomorrow, but how much can i expect the plumber to resolve this without having to take shower out, remove bottom row of tiles and take out and replace the tray level.

thank fully i have not paid and will not pay the plumber until the work is complete.

thanks for your advice

These kind of things are very difficult to advise on.

I cannot understand from what you have said what the problem is and waht has caused it. Uneven floors?

I dont see a gap of 4-5 mm to be sealed by mastic as anything unusual or any problem.

Every installation has always got to be a compromise of some kind.

Myself I do boiler repairs and not showers!

Tony

The tray must be flat and supported as per manufacturer's instructions. The "plumber" should work to this.

I cannot understand from what you have said what the problem is and waht has caused it. Uneven floors?

I dont see a gap of 4-5 mm to be sealed by mastic as anything unusual or any problem.

Tony
So you'd be happy installing a boiler that wasn't spirit levelled? I think not somehow Tony.

Bottom line is that shower trays must be laid flat to allow for subsequent drainage to work properly and any shower door to fit fully supported and true. There's no need for any compromise with this.

Tony

thanks. the tray has been put onto ply on top of the floor boards, surely the ply and tray should have been levelled and not left to run with the level of the floor boards.

if the shower screen sits flush to the tray then the door sits 5mm inside of the rubber strip at the top. to compensate for this the plumber has raised the bottom of the screen by 5mm to ensure the door sits flush, but creating a gap at the bottom. I know sealant will stop the water leaking out, but the fact it runs towards the door away from the waste is not good?

It is extremely important to get the preparations done properly. I took almost an hour to get a floor level as the boards were unlevel. I also put some 12mm WBP ply down and the tray on top. Nice and flat and tray level.

Have you got the instructions for the tray? Most need to be 'bedded' on screed or adhesive. Gets them level and supports them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back