Advice re replacing grid dimmer switch please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these

It is a Richmond Grid Dimmer and the push button has failed and I need to replace. It has jammed, but later released, a few times lately but now wont shift so I can't switch lights on in bathroom! I have some questions.........

Can I do it myself?
Took the plate off to have a look this morning but couldn't get the push button switch unit out. Seemed pretty tight. Is it just a case of popping out the individual bit or does the whole unit need to come out of the wall? Do I need to be more heavy handed with it?
Have checked Richmond website and there is a bewildering selection of grid switches. Which one do I need? 500w 700w???
Because it is fitted to a stud wall it makes a very loud click when pressed at night. Is there an equivalent (good quality) grid dimmer switch I could slot into the existing unit which would be quieter?

The other switch is for the fan and the lights in the bathroom are
Astro 5509 Vancouver Low Voltage Downlights X 3

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Amelia

Sponsored Links
The grid unit looks suspiciously like an MK, what make is the switch, front plate, grid in it? The MK grid modules pop out forwards by holding down a small clip.
MK make dimmer modules for grid, they are a bit of a dent in the wallet!

When I took the front plate off to look this morning I remember seeing Mk on the box unit. The paperwork I have found in my "bathroom" folder (yes, I save everything!) is a Richmond Grid Dimmer instruction leaflet.

I did press the clips in and try to get the switch out but was worried I might wreck something as it seemed stuck halfway so didn't force it.

It wasn't cheap I know!

Amelia

richmond dimmers come with various peices to fit various grids including mk
When you finally get it out it will have the wattage on it to get a new one
looking at the size it may be anything upto 500 watt
Assuming it was the right one initially

I cant recall how you remove allthe various sizes, if you take a photo with the white cover removed im sure we can help

As spark123 said they usually un clip forward but if the wirings tight you may need to remove the whole metal assembly first, with the power isolated first for safety.

For a quide how its assembled
http://www.mkelectric.com/Documents...Specifications/T18 GRID PLUS Tech 590-595.pdf

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

Does this help?

[GALLERY=media, 54428][/GALLERY]

Thanks for the link to Mkelectric info 333rocky333

Should I go for Mk or the same Richmond again?

Can I use this one to eliminate the noise problem at night?
[url]http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DNDSS.html?source=adwords&kw=&gclid=CMT4xcuwwrQCFW3MtAodGmMAww[/url]

Thanks for your time

Amelia

Looks like you need to press in the plastic clips at the top and bottom then the dimmer switch will pull forwards through the grid.
As Rocky says, you may need to undo the wires first (by isolating first, then undo the two grid fixing screws on the sides to gain access.)
If you can get the info off the old one it will help, also the total wattage of the lamps it is controlling, wether they are extra low voltage or mains.
As the TLC website says, for that dimmer switch you'll need a 35mm back box too.

I find sometimes its better to unclip both the dimmer and the normal switch from the front and draw them forward together from the metal frame, dont forget to isolate first

Dimmers are hit and miss sometimes regarding buzzing and the opreating on/ off click
A lot of them like the one you picked above are compatible with the mk grid but not made by mk
The proper mk may not neccesarily be any better than the other brands but most likely dearer

Please take photos or note the connections/colours before disconnecting any wires

I would replace it with another Richmond of the same wattage.

Some of the MK dimmers only run up to 220watts and that may not be enough for you - depends on the lighting load.

assuming that the switch is not being used as two way,

if the push on/off clicking is annoying you, you may find a rotary on/off version is quieter, however these also click to a certain extent

Them touch ones you chose look ok though and there guaranteed for 5 years

just be sure to match it to the lamp type/load

You mention three low voltage lights - that indicates 150watt maximum, assuming you have used 50watt lamps. Could even be just 60watts if you are using 20watt lamps.

I would replace it with an MK dimmer module. The 220watt version. The 400watt MK version takes up two modules.

500 or 700 watts seems overkill to me.

I always remove the grid (metal frame) from the wall before taking the modules out - That way you can manipulate the module out from behind.

To get the Richmond dimmer out you need to take the knob off the front then unscrew the retaining nut. this will release the the module from the grid frame. I don't think you can pop these out from the frame without doing this. Make sure the power to the switch is isolated of course!

The replacement for the Richmond grid dimmer is now called a Zano Grid 500.

To get the Richmond dimmer out you need to take the knob off the front then unscrew the retaining nut. this will release the the module from the grid frame. I don't think you can pop these out from the frame without doing this.

Not true

The Richmond dimmer module just clips out of the grid frame in the same way as all other grid modulesl There is no nut to undo.
http://www.richmondlighting.co.uk/product/Grid_500

To get the Richmond dimmer out you need to take the knob off the front then unscrew the retaining nut. this will release the the module from the grid frame. I don't think you can pop these out from the frame without doing this.

Not true

The Richmond dimmer module just clips out of the grid frame in the same way as all other grid modulesl There is no nut to undo.
http://www.richmondlighting.co.uk/product/Grid_500[/QUOTE]

If you are able to let me know how to get these in an MK grid yoke without removing the clip in insert from the dimmer module I would be truly grateful!
The dimmer is bigger than the yoke which means you cannot simply click it in when attached together.

Thanks guys for your comments. I am going to make it my first New Years Day job tomorrow!
If I can't get the dimmer out I guess I will have to give up and call the electrician. If I can I will order a Richmond one once I know what I want. Presumably there is some kind of label on it somewhere.

Happy New Year to all

Regards
Amelia

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back