Advice - Roofing Air Gap Issues - Cold Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice on roofing if I may:

I’m building a cabin with cold roof in SW UK and concerned about the air gap between insulation and OSB deck.

The roof comprises (inside to outside):
12mm Q mark plywood
Thick vapour barrier (black DPM) that is fitted best I could but without butyl tape to seal screw holes and stapler holes.
170mm deep rafter filled with 150mm PIR insulation which only gives me a 20mm air gap (50mm is recommended building regs). I messed up the materials order.
That’s where I’ve left it.

Roof is 10 degrees single pitch roof
Spans 4.2 meters
I’ve already ordered 32/1000mm box profile metal roofing sheets
High usage holiday cabin

I can see 3 options going forward:

A) No OSB on top of rafters - just sarking felt, counter battens then metal roofing
Q) is this weather proof enough? Warm enough? Too much airflow?

B) OSB fixed to rafters (20mm air gap), breather membrane, cross batten then metal box profile roofing. Gaps on front fascia and eaves for airflow.
Q) enough airflow? 50mm is building regs minimum

C) option B but with battens on top of rafters to lift OSB and increase air flow (cross and through ventilation)
Q) is this too much airflow?)

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated. I know cold roofs are prone to moisture build up so I want to get this right.
Cheers,
Jake

Sponsored Links
Option C to increase the airflow would be my choice but you may also need to insulate below the OSB internally or you may get thermal bridging occuring.
Far better option is to build a warm roof and there are plenty of methods on the web such as this :

ignore the fact it is a fibreglass website it is the methods shown which demonstrate the build up of each type.

Thanks for that DAZB,

I've already fixed the ply and vapour barrier with no thermal bridging consideration for the rafters. It had to suffice due to budget restrictions. I've stopped after insulating between the rafters.

Warm roof would have been too tall and I wanted the internal headroom.

What's the need for OSB? I can only really think that it serves to help with anti-racking, but the battens for roofing and 12mm ply ceiling ply are making it strong and rigid. Can't see it being much of an insulator.

Thanks,

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back