Advise From Experienced Roofers Please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For about 4 weeks now I have been trying to get a roofer to fix a leaking valley on my roof.

One guy bodged it by just cementing the tiles against the lead, which didn't work, so I got refunded - and this guy had 60+ feedbacks at 100% positive on Mybuilder - go figure...

Others have failed to turn up, and others have taken over a week to quote and then seemed not really that interested in the job.

So I am finding it difficult to actually get somebody to do what they have been trained for.

Anyway, last week, this other MyBuilder roofer comes out, gets up on the roof, pulls the tiles off, and tells me that the lead is only 9 inches wide (he said I need 18 inch lead ideally), and that the tiles are not cut correctly, as well, which combined, has been causing the leak.

So he said new valley 18 inches wide, and refelt the area.

He suggested a dry valley fitted. Are these advisable, as I have read that debris can get in the gaps and cause pooling of water eventually?

All seemed plausible, and he was the only trader that got straight up there and properly inspected the job, and everything he said, and the way he acted all stacked up.

The problem was when it came to giving me a price, and he straight away said to me that he works for a company (not his company) and has done for 15 years (he was in a company van), and that these jobs he does on the side (also has 100% feedback).

But.. when I asked him about public liability insurance, he immediately just said he has none, and that all his jobs are cash jobs, and that he guarantees his work, and guarantees to fix the problem.

So the question is, should I really be having somebody fixing my roof that does not have liability insurance? It is not sitting well with me at all, am I right?

Everything else stacks up, and he seemed really knowledgeable, and knew what was required, but this insurance/cash job thing is putting me off hiring him.

What do you think? As I am running out of ideas to actually get somebody to fix this bloody roof!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The easiest path to follow would be to employ the chaps company & hope they send him.

Sponsored Links
Having struggled to find trades myself I'd just pay the guy in cash and get the repair done. If he guarantees he can fix the leak then that would do for me.

Having struggled to find trades myself I'd just pay the guy in cash and get the repair done. If he guarantees he can fix the leak then that would do for me.
Problem is though, I would have zero comeback if he came through the roof, or if the work he did caused even more damage, and he just vanished.

Tricky one really, as it seems roofers actually don't want to do any roofing, unless they can overcharge you to make it worth their while.

Moss and the like can eventually cause a dam effect out of sight with dry valley.
Certainly if you are in and area of few trees , birds etc then it will work.
Imho it's more of a rush it piece of kit, where a my guy with untidy trowels can do a job
Obviously, some find it suits their capability.
The 240 mm lead is wrong, 450 mm much better.
Or a neatly cut and pointed grp valley trough for tiles would be my choice.
You can see from the ground any debris build up which is easily cleared during gutter clearance.

Thanks, but the company he works for do mostly commercial work than domestic. I checked them out.

OK. So pay the man to set a spec, employ a company & then approve the final payment. Basically to project manage it.

Moss and the like can eventually cause a dam effect out of sight with dry valley.
Certainly if you are in and area of few trees , birds etc then it will work.
Imho it's more of a rush it piece of kit, where a my guy with untidy trowels can do a job
Obviously, some find it suits their capability.
The 240 mm lead is wrong, 450 mm much better.
Or a neatly cut and pointed grp valley trough for tiles would be my choice.
You can see from the ground any debris build up which is easily cleared during gutter clearance.

I am right under a nightmare of a tree, so I am learning towards a standard lead valley now.

That's assuming I can actually get a roofer to do it!!

Thanks,

Many people do cash in hand, right or wrong tax wise you can get exactly the same person and job for 1/2 price.

You have to way the person up, seems he's given good advice after actually getting up there and having a look!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back