Think i got the wrong roofer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Called a roofer from the local paper to move some mismatched tiles and to sort a weep around the chimney also to look at a leak in a valley that was replaced 10 years ago and to give the whole roof a look over incase of future problems,tiles were moved and valley done with some sealant? he said that it had a nick in it where the tiles had been cut and is not leaking now but the chimney is a different problem as it is letting a lot more water in than it was before,he said that he redressed the lead around the stack but from the loft you can now see daylight up the side,thinking that when he redressed it he opened up an exisisting split in the lead.
Bottom line is that i guess at least the lead on the sides of stack will want replacing possibly the front and rear skirts? could anyone let me have some sort of figure for a roofer to replace all the lead on the chimney,dont know if it makes a difference but we are a cm20 postcode and the chimney size is 28x41 inches.

Sponsored Links
Some pics,3 is from the front of house and 1/2 are rear,you can see where he cemented the ridge back on the left side of rear pic but looking at the other side where the worst of the leak is the ridge don't look right.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing in those pictures to indicate that the lead needs replacing

The small ridge section to r/h side of stack needs cleaning and rebedding.
Cant see the stepped lead flashing to the sides, might be a problem there, the front aprons look okay.

Woody/Cotswold,
Was still puzzeld as to why i can see daylight up the side of the chimney so had another look from in the loft and thought if i can get something through the gap it can be seen from outside,if you look at the new pics you can see the wire coming out of the diaganol part of the flashing on the sides of the stack and i would agree that as far as can be seen the lead itself don't look too bad,should have took a look with the camera zoomed a bit earlier!

The leads only slightly come away from wall, you shouldnt get any water in, the lead just wants dressing back tight to wall.
You could add a silicone bead.

Remove the chimney to below roof level and tile it over.
You can vent the gas appliance through a ridge terminal... problem solved.

Ha Ha,perhaps i should get the same guy back to do the work,seriously though that second flue may come in handy one day with the way fuel prices are going up.

You would still be retaining both flues! its only the stack protruding above the roofline you would be removing.
The majority of chimney stacks are no longer being used for what they were originally designed for.(solid fuel)
If you decided to put the second vent back into service it would be straightforward enough to extend back through the roof with some twinwall.

Alastair,
For what that would cost i could buy the woodburner or pay the increased fuel costs for the foreseeable future!

Thank you very much Gents,will get a couple of quotes but NOT from the previous guy,once again,thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back