Advise on conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've submitted plans for conversion of my internal garage into a kitchen. This involves raising the floor to match the house level. The garage external wall is single skin and a new interior cavity wall is required. The garage door will be removed and a small wall built with window above it. Above the garage is an existing bedroom which formed part of the extension above the garage prior to me buying it.

I've got some builders in to do the job but I want to make sure its done right.

For this type of job what would you expect them to do?

I might be being vague so I can clarify further if needed.

Sponsored Links
I would expect them to follow the submitted and approved plans

as it is permitted development it did not require method statements simply elevations of existing and proposed.

Did you really need to apply for planning permission?

What about the building regs were plans submitted for that?

If not, then you need to pass the risk to your builders via a contract - stating that they are to design and build to the current building regulations.

The probelm you have, is that there are various ways of compliance, and you need to ensure that the builders are quoting for similar work, else the prices could be misleading

Describing what they are expected to do will take an age. Search the building forum for garage conversion posts

Sponsored Links
Ah I see. I suspect I didn't need to apply and it was always going to be subject to BC. However I didn't want to take the risk. It didn't cost me a great deal.

I will speak to them and see how they plan to do it and check with BC that they would approve.

Ulitmately I won't be selling this house for 20 years+ so I imgaine it could be acedemic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back