AEG bearings gone - worth reparing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'd love some washing machine advice, as I know v.little

We have a 6 1/2 year old AEG Lavamat 72620 which has just started spinning very noisily... Also there was smoke coming out of the drum and an acrid burning on the last spin I did.

A bit of web research and reading on this forum plus my DIY nut Dad looking inside the machine confirms that the bearings almost certainly need replacing.

Calling AEG doesn't really seem to help as they are reluctant to give any advice without you calling someone out. Their parts dept quoted me £160 incl. VAT for new parts after I said the bearings needed replacing.. but looking at the cost of bearing kits on the web, I can't believe this was just for a new bearing kit.

I'd really like some advice about whether or not it's worth going for replacement parts/repair.. and if so, what parts should I need? OR whether to chuck it and go for a new machine. (it would have to be another AEG, Bosch, Siemens or something like that).

In my mind PROs of repair:
- I love my AEG
- Probably still a bit cheaper than a new quality machine

CONs of repair:
- Looks like I'd have to use AEG engineer - potentially quite expensive.. even DIY nut Dad didn't fancy helping me do a DIY repair!
- Unknown factors..What's the smoke all about - is it just the bearings or....?
- Machine already over 6 years old and had lots of use/ we live in hard water area - perhaps better in long run to get a new machine?

Well some advice from someone who knows about washing machines would be GREAT

thanks

josie

Sponsored Links
get new m/c

changing bearing is easy with the right kit, if you havent got it, good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back