Aerated blocks / Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope somebody can help with this one. I am just starting to fit a kitchen and have got around to fitting the wall units. The walls in the kitchen are thermalite blocks with a plaster finish (not boards). The cupboards are the 1000mm units, so quite heavy. I am just not sure which is the best method of fixing them to the walls would be as these blocks are crumbly and nothing seems to bite to them.

I have got a tube of resin as I think that anything I use will need to be fixed in with a chemical bond. Would frame fixings be OK?

Sponsored Links
Frame fixings are waz.

Use 3" 10's (75mm 5's) with brown plugs and a 6.5mm drill bit.

and I would also say, squirt no-more-mails or simllar into the holes after you have blown and washed the dust out, starting with the nozzle deep into the hole so there is no air gap. Push the plasplug deep into the hole, using a screw a few turn in as a handle. Smooth off the nomorenails with a wet finger. I find it gives a very secure fixing in a soft or crumbly wall, and the plug will not turn or move when you drive home the screw after the stuff has set.

If you are using adjustable cabinet hangers on metal wall plates, you might be interested to know you can buy this steel hanging plate in long rails. this enables you to fix it the entire length of the wall in advace of hanging the cabs, using plenty of big screws. This will make them all level and IMO is stronger than spot-fixing each bracket. It is not easy to find the wall rail but it is about £23 for 2.5 metres at Woodfit Part Number: BC254. Section 6, Assembly Fitting, Cabinet Hanging.

I am a bit surprised it is not more widely available.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help. I actually went and got some polyester resin which comes in a tube of two compounds which mix together as you squirt into the drill hole. I had also bought some 8mm nylon plugs with the little flanges on them. I guess this should do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back