Aerial cable problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new digital TV and have connected it to the aerial socket but it's not finding any channels. Because of the layout of the room, I've had to run a 15m aerial lead between the socket and the tv. I tested this before I ran it round the room and the tv found all of the expected stations, so I know all the components work but once it's in situ it won't work. I've taken the tv of the wall and connected directly to the socket with a short 1m lead and I was able to tune into the channels.

So I'm assuming I've damaged the cable somehow during installation as it worked beforehand. I've conducted a continuity test on the aerial cable and it's fine (both insides and both outsides are continuous and inside to outside is not).

Is there anyway of testing the cable more thoroughly? It's taken quite a long time to run round the room so i would prefer to test it in situ.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
How have you taken cable around the room ?
Sounds like you have a bad coax connector issue ?
Remake both coax connectors at each end

Is it a cheap lead with minimal screening? Does it run past anything electrical which could create interference?

Check coax connector

Attachments

• IMG_0106.PNG
    IMG_0106.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 252
Sponsored Links
Hi,

The cable has pre-made ends and it's not especially cheap, though by no means to of the range. It doesn't directly run past any electrical cables although there is a power cable buried in the wall that it must cross at least once. I'm not sure exactly where that is as we had the extension built 15 years ago and I made a mental note where the electrician had run them but don't exactly recall.

I've run the cable along the skirting board, under a radiator, up the wall, along the ceiling (conservatory roof) then back down another wall. Held in place with cable clips.

Is there an easy way to test fit interference?

Thanks

Not withstanding the issue of interference because of poor screening, and presuming you haven't changed to the analogue tuner by mistake; then if your cable is neatly fitted around the room and that includes it being tucked in and/or around corners then there's a good chance that it is kinked or crushed. You'll still get continuity, but when a cable is bent at a sharp angle it squashed the insulation that sits between the core and the shielding. It's a bit like snapping off a chunk of the aerial on a portable radio. You might still get some stations, but not all, and maybe nothing at all.

My money is on interference first and then crushing/kinking second. In both cases the answer is to replace the cable with something decent: Webro WF100 or WF65 if you want something easier to hide. If a cable you first installed (regardless of price) isn't up to the job then trying to resurrect it is like flogging a dead horse.

Thanks for your advice. I've ordered a reel of the WF100 and will refit with that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back