Aerial / Splitter problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some help / advice.

Ive just bought a 19'' flat screen for my bedroom. I currently have an external aerial and the coax cable for this runs down the outside wall of the house then through the wall into the living room.

My bedroom is above the living room. So to help paint the picture, the coax cable runs past the bedroom on the external wall.

Is there a way of externally splitting the coax? Is there anything like a junction box that i can run the cable into and then have a spur (so to speak) running into the bedroom.

I dont really want to be climbing on the roof and messing around up there.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you could re route the existing cable into the bedroom first and then a new piece of co ax from there downstairs via a splitter or booster,any joins especially outside should be avoided

So have the splitter / booster inside?

I was kind of hoping to have a nice wall plate in the bedroom to connect the aerial to. Just looks a bit more tidy.

Is there no waterproof/external splitters on the market.

Ive been having a look but cant find anything. Didnt know if there was something in particular.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you use a splitter you WILL get an inferior signal, best to do as CH427 as advised.
Cut the cable allowing plenty to come into your room on 1st floor. fit an amp. then new cable out of the same hole & into the old hole on the ground floor.
A proper job

If you want to use a wall plate, use a double wall plate and connect the correct socket to the right socket on the booster, if you know what i mean.

aerial - wallplate - cable - booster(in)
living room - wallplate - cable - booster(out)
booster(out) - bedroom tv

Mo2

Let me get this right. Have a double plate in the bedroom. One connection is connected to the down lead from the aerial (connection 1). The other connection goes to the living room (connection 2). So effectively the living room is not connected to the main aerial untill a loop is made in the bedroom.

In the bedroom have a lead coming from connection 1 into the booster in. A booster out then goes to the tv in the bedroom and another booster out goes to connection 2. The TV downstairs?

Is that right?

Russdeebrown said:
Mo2

Let me get this right. Have a double plate in the bedroom. One connection is connected to the down lead from the aerial (connection 1). The other connection goes to the living room (connection 2). So effectively the living room is not connected to the main aerial untill a loop is made in the bedroom.

In the bedroom have a lead coming from connection 1 into the booster in. A booster out then goes to the tv in the bedroom and another booster out goes to connection 2. The TV downstairs?

Is that right?

Yup ;)

Without the booster, is that not basically like using a splitter?

If i used a splitter outside and had it running into the bedroom / living room. Could i then use a booster in each room if needed.

Dont need a booster on each leg, just aerial then to a booster/splitter, they are designed to boost for each new leg. If you have just a splitter you will only get 50% of the signal. DO WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD. :LOL:

Diyisfun said:
just aerial then to a booster/splitter, they are designed to boost for each new leg. If you have just a splitter you will only get 50% of the signal. . :LOL:

When you bring the aerial lead through the wall into the bedroom if you are drilling through the brickwork

Drill from inside.

Drill at a slight downward angle

take the cable down below the hole ( outside ) and then "U" turn it back up to the hole. Make the bend so there is least 6 inches between the sides of the "U"(too sharp a bend and the cable deforms internally and can lose a lot of signal) This is a rain drip and will reduce the water ingress to the hole in the wall. It also allows a bit of spare cable for later changes or repairs if the socket is direct on top pf the hole.

bernardgreen said:
Diyisfun said:
just aerial then to a booster/splitter, they are designed to boost for each new leg. If you have just a splitter you will only get 50% of the signal. . :LOL:

When you bring the aerial lead through the wall into the bedroom if you are drilling through the brickwork

Drill from inside.

Drill at a slight downward angle

take the cable down below the hole ( outside ) and then "U" turn it back up to the hole. Make the bend so there is least 6 inches between the sides of the "U"(too sharp a bend and the cable deforms internally and can lose a lot of signal) This is a rain drip and will reduce the water ingress to the hole in the wall. It also allows a bit of spare cable for later changes or repairs if the socket is direct on top pf the hole.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

bernardgreen said:
[Drill at a slight downward angle

Drip loop, not rain drip :rolleyes: :D

Mushroom buttons to prevent the co-ax chaffing and to cover any blow out in the external brick finish the job

cabletidy.jpg

(via Satcure)[/list]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back