Affixing tiles with magic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace some tiles but the plasterboard is damaged and has broken away due to a leak. How can I patch up this area (there's no access to the rear)?

You can see some wood behind but this moves around freely.

Sponsored Links
Presumably if the plaster board behind has rotted away, then the tiles we can see are tending to float?
I have had this before, and the only satisfactory answer to me was to carefully remove and clean the tiles to an area which revealed the vertical timber studding, clean up the edges of the plasterboard so that 50% of the studding was visible, replace the plaster board with new and replace the tiles.
Tedious a bit but I did get away with it, and no tiles were broken (which was just as well as there's never any spares!)
John :)

Maybe you can use a back block to patch the plasterboard behind the tiles before fixing new tiles over the hole? similar to how you'd go about patching a hole in a plasterboard wall...

This may be easier if you can make a little more room by removing a few of those mosaic strips.

Sponsored Links
I didn't want to take any more tiles out and decided to just bite the bullet and remove the wooden frame and all the crap in the airing cupboard. I then cut some holes in the wall for access and was then able to patch up the other hole with plasterboard.

I couldn't find any similar sized matching tiles so had to cut some down with an angle grinder.

All in all, I'm quite happy with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back