After Extra Insulation

dkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've had a look around and there are plenty of threads about boarding and insulation etc but I'm trying to get a definitive answer.

The situation at the moment is that our loft is boarded out (not screwed down) and we have boxes, suitcases etc stored up there.

Our local council is running an initiative where they give away free loft insulation and and wall insulation.

They've come to do our assessment and said that we need our loft insulation doubling. As far as I can remember its even thinner under the boards.

They said theres no need to empty the loft or take the boards up but they will need screwing down. I dont want to screw them down as its been fine for 3 years.

What I would like though is more insulation underneath them so I plan on emptying the loft, letting them do the whole of it then putting the boards back up there after.

Now I expect the insulation not to be as effective if I crush it down but I think there will still be more then than there is now.

Will it crush that far down as I dont want the boards to be simply sitting on the insulation?

Should I just bite the bullet and screw the boards down now?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
lift the boards and let them insulate your loft properly!
minimum insulation requirements are 250mm.
so i think you will find they will isulate between the rafters and then crossbond over the top.
if you are relaying your floor dont compress the glasswool too much otherwise it cancels out the thermal qualities of the insulation.

lift the boards and let them insulate your loft properly!
minimum insulation requirements are 250mm.
so i think you will find they will isulate between the rafters and then crossbond over the top.
if you are relaying your floor dont compress the glasswool too much otherwise it cancels out the thermal qualities of the insulation.

Thanks for your reply.

I will empty the loft, remove the boards, let them put the insulation in then refit the boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back