AGM battery or should I have a leisure battery? (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a used "12V AGM battery (NGM 019) from the battery man for 50 quid
It reads 12.65V and it ran my load ok!

But I was before wanting to buy a brand new 110amp led acid leisure battery for 65 quid. But he insisted that what i was buying hear was far batter value for money then the leisure battery he could of got for me, but i am not entirlly convinced! Well for one the batteries are bough the same size but on the AGM battery it says, 850 CCA and 92 amp capacity, which is far less then the other one at 110amps

The load I am drawing (Diesel night heater) is a slow low drain so would the leisure battery of been better for this and not the car battery

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did he think you wanted a battery to start an engine?

That's what CCA is for.

The technology is old, we have used low AH AGM also called valve regulated lead acid for years up to around 35 AH for mobility scooters, but the larger versions arrived with stop/start technology.

The problem with all lead acid is charging them, but when no ability to top up, the chargers have to be spot on.

A traction battery is best as you can top it up, but absorbed glass mat is a close second, and likely it is a good selection in your case.

The charger however has to be designed for AGM batteries.

Sponsored Links
Update

Or maybe it isn't.

Varta Silver top, calcium batt H3.

Edit
I just read that the silver calcium run at slightly higher voltage, about 14.5v

I have three Lidi chargers designed for AGM, they are stage chargers, and once near fully charged it will alternate between 12.8 to 14.4 volt, if it drops to under 12.8 it starts to charge, and as soon as it hits 14.4 it switches off again.

The Ctek is the well known one, but there are others.

Mine has maximum charge rate of 3.8 amp with early one and 5 amp with latter one, and it quickly drops to lower charge rates, so a 90 Ah battery can take days to recharge.

We have one at work like this 1705632606503.pnghowever at £265 they are expensive. And darn heavy. Some Ctek can cost £300 for the 25 amp version designed for caravans, and this is the problem, the battery will not last long with a cheap charger. My father-in-law and mother both had stair lifts with 7 Ah batteries, father-in-laws the batteries never needed changing other then when he unplugged it, but mothers needed new batteries every couple of years, the more the lift was used the longer they lasted, as they were slightly over charged.

The pair of 35 Ah in the mobility scooter lasted around 15 years.

Where is this heater being used? Is mains electric available? If yes surely a 24v power supply would be better.

Where is this heater being used? Is mains electric available? If yes surely a 24v power supply would be better.
Why 24 volt to replace a 12 volt battery? The problem with many diesel heaters is start amps, and the pulses to metering pump, some power supplies don't like the pulses of diesel metering pump.

The technology is old, we have used low AH AGM also called valve regulated lead acid for years up to around 35 AH for mobility scooters, but the larger versions arrived with stop/start technology.

The problem with all lead acid is charging them, but when no ability to top up, the chargers have to be spot on.

A traction battery is best as you can top it up, but absorbed glass mat is a close second, and likely it is a good selection in your case.
So your saying i am better with the battery he sold me then the typical deep cycle LAB that was rated at 110amp

The charger however has to be designed for AGM batteries.
I only have a very basic charger from the generator found hear

and another basic charger found hear

Why 24 volt to replace a 12 volt battery? The problem with many diesel heaters is start amps, and the pulses to metering pump, some power supplies don't like the pulses of diesel metering pump.
yes best keep it as simple as possible as what they have done is make it very difficult by installing a voltage cut off device so when heater is drawing large load on start up on the glow plug it dose not fail to stat. Most diesel engines have glow plugs but never this issue what a con!

I suggested a 24v supply as I thought the heater could run on 12-24v but as mains isn't available that won't work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back