air brick what would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
alright boys i cant make my mind up im havin a new kitchen and have had the kitchen rewired, and have taken an old fan out of the large air brick hole on the right which some one had put in , on the left is a hole from an old pipe i removed, now i cant make my mind up what to do block in big hole on the right and put a fan in the hole on the left? or block the hole up on the left and just have an air brick on the right, ive sorted 3 other air bricks out in the house by putting a liner in and a hit and miss vent but cant do that here as the ceiling is stopping me from putting a liner in as iits in the way at the top, i think there used to be a terrecotta vent there 9x12 which they dont make any more, any suggestions to help me make my mind up? View media item 32977

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve I would just brick it all in and float and set it. If you need some fresh air in the room just open the window. Leave the air-bricks on the outside and they will vent the cavity for you.... ;)

Hi Steve I would just brick it all in and float and set it. If you need some fresh air in the room just open the window. Leave the air-bricks on the outside and they will vent the cavity for you.... ;)
cheers roy, my main concern is condensation from the cooker shes havin a 90cm range cooker with hood but the hood is not going to be vented, as its over the other side of the room, do u still think opening the window will be enough?

i would float it up to mate and if your worried bout the ventilation cnt you just take out the exterior one brick it up nicley and knock a new one out in a more practicle place

Sponsored Links
Our cooker hood's not vented through either Steve, it's one of those with filters. We do as Roy suggested to you, we just open the window and it works fine for us.

told you too feeck it off m8 and just get the small open close vent covers
and use the small hole

or just **** the lot off and open the window

:LOL: :LOL: just do as you are told ;)

carbon filters take out the pong, the window takes out the steam.

if youre a spread though, like someone suggested, put the vent through the other wall or duct through th ceiling, re board and skim your nice new ceiling

:LOL: :LOL: just do as you are told ;)

carbon filters take out the pong, the window takes out the steam.

if youre a spread though, like someone suggested, put the vent through the other wall or duct through th ceiling, re board and skim your nice new ceiling
had thought about runnig the duct around the top of the room to the hole and boxing it in, but i think im gonna go with whats been sugested

if you box in your duct, you can put funky lighting in the boxing ;)

put same size boxing all round the kitchen ceiling line and you got a moody kitchen or a disco :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

or your stash of trowels m8 you keep that 16" safe ill come get it soon m8
its my new baby :p
mite even brack out my 20" on this reskim

if your cooker hood is not vented it is pretty useless. Fit an extractor fan, or at least put in a 6" duct so you can fit one later when you get fed up with condensation running down the windows and mildew growing on the walls. A window is no substitute and depending on wind direction may blow the steam and cooking smells into the house rather than outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back