AIR BRICK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an air brick 6"sq whether to vent the room or chimney purposes I am unsure it is on an external wall and accesses the internal wall via a liner there is a standard plastic vent cover on the internal wall, I should add this is not on the chimney breast so I am unsure what purpose this actually serves.
The chimney has been capped as we do not use an open fire, the
problem being that the dead air brick space at 6" sq which is located
in the lounge is draughty and the wall where it is situated extremely cold
and until recently we were unaware since moving here and replacing the vent that this area was totally open via the airbrick to the outside with no other form of protection between .
Should this be bricked up internally or how do we overcome this problem.

Sponsored Links
Hi. i take it you are sure the external airbrick is in the chimney breast.

And that it is the only one.

The chimney being capped, gives you a little problem, in that you have no air flow, therefore you could do with another air brick further up the chimney breast or built into the cap.

But you say there is a liner, it sounds like the breast is not being vented, just the room.

I had this problem in my house when i moved in, not through the breast though, so i removed the liner and built up the internal brickwork, leaving the external airbrick inplace to vent the cavity.

Give it a try, but if there are any signs of dam around the breast now or in the future you may wnat to add the extra vent .

Hi
I have an air brick 6"sq presumably for chimney purposes which
is on the external wall and accesses the internal wall via a liner
there is a standard plastic vent cover on the internal wall.
The chimney has been capped as we do not use an open fire, the
problem being that the dead air brick space which is located in the lounge is draughty and the wall where it is situated extremely cold.
Can we brick this up internally or how do we overcome this problem.

I should add the air brick is not on the chimney breast wall

this air brick would have been there to vent the room when the coal fire was in use, this is common on older houses. as you no longer have an open fire it is of no use. how do you heat this room now?

Sponsored Links
this air brick would have been there to vent the room when the coal fire was in use, this is common on older houses. as you no longer have an open fire it is of no use. how do you heat this room now?

The room is heated via gas central heating radiators and an electric fire previous owners originally had storage heaters prior to having gas installed

ryde555";p="1449006 said:

The room is heated via gas central heating radiators and an electric fire previous owners originally had storage heaters prior to having gas installedShould this be left open externally and bricked up internally in case
someone else may want to open the fire up again in the future

if that is the case then block it up inside and out to keep the heat in. i would not worry about future use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back