Air Coditioning Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missus bought a air con unit of of ebay and now wants me to fit it. I have looked into the installation booklet and to my horror it requires the pipes to be evacuated after fitting. So my question is does anyone know where I can hire/buy a evacuation pump or better still does anyone know of an Aircon installation engineer in the Essex area that I could get to do the install for me?

Sponsored Links
You will need to search for an air con outfit. Not only do you have to evacuate tthe pipes, but there are regulations on handling refrigerant gases, and you need the kit to do it.

oilman said:
You will need to search for an air con outfit. Not only do you have to evacuate tthe pipes, but there are regulations on handling refrigerant gases, and you need the kit to do it.

Thanks for the info. The unit is pre-gassed so I should not need to touch the refrigerant gas.

Sponsored Links
Probably not as comlicated as it sounds.

B&Q do two types, the 'DIY' one just plugs together and requires no evacuation.

The other 'professional' system comes with about 5metre of copper pipe and the unit is gassed. The instructions say that once installed you literally have to open the valves and there is a bleed type valve which needs to be opened to the atmosphere, this purges the air out and after a few seconds you shut it off.

Seems a bit hit and miss to me, but that's what the instructions say.

I guess a bit of the refridgerant gets out, but it's a simple way of clearing the pipes of air.

No she bought it from Ebay. If she'd bought it from B&Q I could take it back :(

I got one of those evacuation pump thingies and the necessary pipes. If u want to hire it to evacuate the pipes, u can give me £40 cash in hand - depending where in essex u are. Im in cambridge..

Thanks for the offer but I'm down in the south of Essex near Basildon so a bit far to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back