AIR in central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 4 years ago we had some person come to extend a radiator to another place in the room, ever since then we have had air buildup in the system, we have to bleed the radiators every day. We had plumbers to come and see the problem none of them knew what was going on, one of them told us that the previous owner of the house had changed the system from a gravity fed system to a pump system.

We know that there is sludge in the system but we are 100% sure that it cannot be this because all pipes are filled with air and sludge cannot create such vast quantities of air. I would flush the system but if i do this and it doesn't work then it will be a waste of money. I have tried to do the hydrogen test with a mach and nothing.:confused::confused::confused:

Sponsored Links
Did you have a problem before the rad was added, and how soon afterwards did the problem start to occur

No there was no problem before we added the new rad the problem started about 1 or 2 weeks from it

Sponsored Links
i have turned the pump down from three to two but i can still hear air getting draged in

Did he drain the complete system down when he fitted the rad, or just isolated the necessary pipework.

What's the boiler, and the setup. If it was changed from a gravity fed system to a pumped system, when was this done. Is there still a header tank, and have you seen the water been pumped into the header tank when it over heats, or when you hear the air being dragged in.

It's possible that the sludge has built up in the system, and it'd forcing the water round the wrong way. Do all the rads get hot, both at the top, and the bottom.

You don't need to do a power flush yet, but you could start by taking the rads off and flushing them out, and then putting in inhibitor.

He completely drained, it he also changed two other radiators to towel radiators and extended them to different parts of the room
The boiler is a ideal mexico 100 open vented system and i don't know when this was changed as the previous owners had done this
Yes there is a header tank
No i have never seen the water being pumped in
There is is rad downstairs that takes a while to get hot and most of the radiators get cold from the bottom and hot from the top

What's happening when you hear air getting sucked into the system, and where do you hear it from. You may not have seen water getting pumped into the header tank, but if the water in there is warm, then you've got an over pump situation.
Do you know if the plumber added inhibitor to the system when he did the work - it almost sounds as though he didn't.

From you're description, you've definitely got sludge in the system, so start by adding fernox X400 to the system for a couple of weeks, then remove each rad and flush it though, and then add inhibitor, then see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back