air in hot water pipes ( not a CH question)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a long run of hotwater pipes in part of the house. The pipe run feeds a shower and sink in an ensuite bathroom and a washing machine in the garage below.

We had no hot water from the taps, and guests arriving! Even though I had left the hot tap open for over 1 hr to try to get the air out.

I had to call the plumber out who found the whole leg of pipework had air trapped in it. He disconected the washing machine hot hose to bleed the air and then the hot water worked fine from all the taps.

How can I prevent this from happening again?

I've seen automatic air vents on ch systems, can they be used on hot water pipes?

Is there an obviouse place the the air is getting in ( ie washing machine running " pulls" air in to the system through shower head/tap etc?

I realise that problem may be worse as the ensuite bathroom may be unused for a period of time. I did notice the wachine machine seem to be filling with cold water only thismorning, so I'll check the system for air again later!

Sponsored Links
Put an air vent on the highest point of your hot supply. You may have a loop where air is getting trapped. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back