Air in system/oveflow problem

adi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have an open vented system. The boiler is new (classic condensing). The pump is new. Everytime the pump starts, air gets into the system (a lot of air). I could let the air out of the first radiator every half an hour! That happens at the lowest speed on the pump. If I put the pump to anything higher than that, water continuosly comes out of the overflow pipe.

I had the system powerflushed recently, but it didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
how much higher than the tank does the vent pipr go?

ollski said:
how much higher than the tank does the vent pipr go?

I'm afraid I'm not that knowledgeable as I don't understand some of these terms :( The expansion tank is about 2m above the pump. What's the "vent pipe"?

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
where's the pump, cold feed, vent and what order

I'm afraid you'll have to explain these things to me :( Pump is upstairs, expansion tank in the loft (2m above). PLease ask me more (simple) questions and apologies again for my lack of knowledge

it's the pipe that comes up and over the tank....though my money would probably be on the pump being the wrong way round.

ooops edit sorry didn't notice the boiler was new.....get the installer back in.

doitall said:
who fitted the boiler

Not the manufacturer, I'm afraid. A normal plumber. I used to have an old cast-iron boiler, they replaced that with the new one by connecting it to the old pipes. They haven't changed anything else (they changed something on the electrics side).

I've asked quite a few people about my problem, they told me that I have a blockage in the sytem, that why I had it powerflushed. It didn't help, I'm afraid.

ollski said:
it's the pipe that comes up and over the tank....though my money would probably be on the pump being the wrong way round.

ooops edit sorry didn't notice the boiler was new.....get the installer back in.

Is there anyway I could check if the pump is the "right way up"? AS far as I remember it was always that in that position, and I would have thought noone would be able to put it the worn way around.

The overflow pipe is probably about a foot higher than the expansion tank (at it's highest point).

Thank you.

adi,

The new boiler is different to the old, the cold feed and vent will be in the wrong place, and depending how the new has been connected then alterations to the pipework is inevitable.

best plan for now is to get the installer back.

doitall said:
adi,

The new boiler is different to the old, the cold feed and vent will be in the wrong place, and depending how the new has been connected then alterations to the pipework is inevitable.

best plan for now is to get the installer back.

Thank you very much. I'll try, but I'm not sure they know better. I was considering buying that HomeCare heating system insurance from British Gas and asking them to come and fix it, as they won't send an engineer without buying the policy. Do you think they wil do it?

Thank you very much again.

they might, depends how much remedial work it needs, but I believe there is scope for some repair work to be done to allow the system to come on contract. If its a bigger job involving either moving the pump and combining you feed and vent pipes they should be able to give you a quote if you ask. It is the previous installers responsibility to come and put it right free of charge though and that would be my first call.

The expansion pipe should be as close to the boiler as possible and rise continuously to turn over the tank.

The cold feed must be connected within 150mm after it.

ollski said:
they might, depends how much remedial work it needs, but I believe there is scope for some repair work to be done to allow the system to come on contract. If its a bigger job involving either moving the pump and combining you feed and vent pipes they should be able to give you a quote if you ask. It is the previous installers responsibility to come and put it right free of charge though and that would be my first call.

Thank you very much again. It's been suggested, as an alternative to combining the feed and vent pipes, to install an air separator. Will this help? It doesn't look very complicated to combine the feed and vent pipes, will this solve my problem? Which is better, the air separator or combining the pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back