AIR IN WASTE PIPE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sink, toilet and shower in an ensuite bathroom.
When either the toilet is flushed or the sink emptied water bubbles up in the shower and air can be heard gurgling in the pipes. When the shower is used the water runs away very slowly and you end up standing in a couple of inches of water.
The water rises high in in toilet bowl before running away. I have taken the toilet out and run a hose into the waste pipe and this runs away fine. The problem appears to be related to air in the pipe rather than a blockage.
A plumber has redirected the sink outlet past the shower trap so that it is now nearer to the soil pipe but this has not cured the problem.
This is in :( a new house and I am now at a bit of a loss of what to do next.

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber so this is only a thought.

If water is coming up in the shower tray it may be the the gradiant is not enough so water can come back up.

Some toilets are naturally slow in emptying, but a wose thought is that there is something partialy blocking a pipe, so that instead of water going down the soil pipe it comes back up.

A bit like having a roundabout and you in a car, you can not go untill it is free, but if there was no roundabout you could go strait on.

I would suggest that as all three water outlets are "interacting" with each other

The way round it if there is no blockage would be to make sure that each has its own run direct to the soil stack.

Also some soil stacks do not have an "open end" (usually high up) but instead have a "one way valve" that allows air to be sucked in but not blown out, it may be this that is stuck

to see what i mean go to http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...&n=d16261-69&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

Breezer's is right about this,I personally would rather see the shower and sink waste pipe on it own out into the gulley/hopper which then connected to the soil pipe. This way you would stop any airlock and wouldn't get any smell coming back.I think what happening here is when you flushed the toilet the air in the waste pipe is being push back into the shower and push the trap water onto the shower tray.Also check that the toilet waste pipe is 100mm and not 75mm. :)

Sponsored Links
Yep I'd go with that sound like you have a stub stack with a faulty air admittance valve on the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back