air inlet valve on vent stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a cast iron sewer vent stack that exits next to the bathroom window, approx 1m above. If we have gone away for a week or so and the weather has been hot, you can get smells from the vent in the bathroom. Can i fit an air inlet valve to the top of this stack or does the vent need to be able to expel fumes as well as suck air in?

Sponsored Links
Air inlet valves let air in but stop whiffs coming out. A lot of them are for plastic pipes and are designed to fit them. Your cast iron pipe will be a different size and may need an adaptor. Also, I know of no AAV that can be used externally, they are not resistant to frost. If one does exist, I have never seen one and I have looked. Can anyone confirm this??

Yes you can .............IN some circumstances .......look up online building regs . I think someone is "barking up the wrong tree" despite being a Royal Pet :confused:

Sponsored Links
Ang on, the venting property of the open end would be completely defeated by something like a Durgo. It may well NEED to let pressure escape from the system to stop traps passing bubbles. (depends on the proximity of the next vent - see Bldg Regs)

Surely the proper solution is to extend the stack up another metre or whatever?

that's pretty much the point of my question. does the vent stack just ingest air or does it vent too?

It vents the head of the drain (gas) to atmosphere.

Air admittance valves cannot be fitted externally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back