Air Vent for Wood Burner over 5kw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fellas,

I'm planning on having a new wood burning stove fitted and am pondering what Kilowatt output to go for. A 5kw would probably suffice for the size of the room, but ideally I'd like a larger stove with a BIGGER window. :)

I'm told that if I go for over 5kw, then I need an additional air vent fitted to an external wall.

My (probably stupid) question is, does this vent on the outside wall, connect somehow to the actual woodburner?

My missus isn't keen on having additional pipework/tubing going from the chimney breast along the alcove to the external vent.

Or have I got it completely wrong, and it is simply a hole made in the exterior wall, and a vent fitted? :confused:

Many thanks in advance... :D

Sponsored Links
no its just allows air int the room
what size is the room ??
if the room is any size you will be for ever stoking to try and get more than 50% output

are you going the hetas route or the building control route

no its just allows air int the room
what size is the room ??
if the room is any size you will be for ever stoking to try and get more than 50% output

are you going the hetas route or the building control route

Thanks for the reply - So its just a vent in the wall yeah? No piping etc?

The room is 12' x 12' living room, but is pretty much open plan through to a same size adjacent dining room.

The guy is Hetas registered, doing it through that...

yes just a vent

my shed is 12x10ft and around 7 ft average the stove is 4kw and it takes around 90 mins to go from say 6 degrees to 26 and its quite well insulated thats fairly continuose stoking [every 10 mins]
now of course its full off metal tools that will draw out a lot off the heat but on the same token act like a storage radiator
any way the point i am making is to get more than 50% takes a lot off work to get 25% takes little work so better to over size a bit and you can spend less time tending

Sponsored Links
yes just a vent

my shed is 12x10ft and around 7 ft average the stove is 4kw and it takes around 90 mins to go from say 6 degrees to 26 and its quite well insulated thats fairly continuose stoking [every 10 mins]
now of course its full off metal tools that will draw out a lot off the heat but on the same token act like a storage radiator
any way the point i am making is to get more than 50% takes a lot off work to get 25% takes little work so better to over size a bit and you can spend less time tending

Cheers for that - things have moved quickly in the last 30 mins, my fitter is now coming round tomorrow to put a new lintel in so all systems go! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back