Airlock help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have an airlock problem with 2 of my rads. This has happened before when the system's been drained but I've always managed to sort it in 24hrs by trial and error. Now it's not working.

Problem:
- plumber came to move a rad in one room, thus draining the system.
- once everything back on the rads in hall and living room not working, everything else working.
- tried closing everything else off other than the 2 non-working ones. this method worked last time by the way.
- tried only leaving one non-working one on.
- tried only leaving the other non-working one on.
- tried one non-working on and one other working one on upstairs.
- tried with the other one.
- constantly bleeding rads but hardly any air coming out.

Boiler is fine. Pump is fine. Rads are fine. Everything has worked perfectly since the last time system was drained.

Can anyone help please????

Sponsored Links
If a plumber drained and moved the rad, get on the phone and get him back to sort it. Its his problem, not yours.... :evil:

exactly what redhot says. what system are you on pressurised combi or system or open vent?

Thanks for quick replies.

The thing is that he knows it's a known problem as he's done work for us a lot over the past 5 yrs. I've been on the phone to him today and he's been getting me to run the various tests. He says it could take anything from minutes to days to sort out (??!!)

System isn't combi. Not sure about other definitions. Separate hot water and cold water tank, rads everywhere, and a boiler.

I'd love a quick fix for this!

Sponsored Links
Not sure what "F+E" means, but if you mean the tank for the central heating then yes.

ok well you say the pumps ok. has it got a filter on the system either above the boiler or in airing cupboard? i what controls do you have do u have a 3 port valve or 2x2port valves there boxes in the airing cupboard

Not sure about the filter. We don't have airing cupboard.
Water tanks are in the loft.
The boiler is in an outside cupboard. That's where the pump is too.
Other than that I don't know of anything else - never seen the plumber fiddle with anything else.
Not sure about valves either.
Sorry to be so useless!

Dont take this the wrong way, but why should plumbers be spending there time sorting out your plumbers problem?

If he is a regular plumber of yours, he should be back quick smart to sort it out, however long it takes him, its part of his job!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circulation problems of this type are usualy caused, by people only partialy draining down, to change a radiator ect,

And I find time and time again they finish up with a slug of air in the return pipework, which no amount of bleeding at the radiators will shift.

I find the easyest way to fix this is to, close all radiator valves on the feed side of the radiator be they thermostatic or wheel head

Then attach a hose to the return pipework draincock if you have one. and drain down until it runs clear, Close drain cock!!!

Then vent all radiators again, then open up all the radiator valves you shut off and try the heating again,

If you dont have a draincock on the return pipework, you can make up a "tail" to fit in place of a vent plug in the top of the radiator,( That is assuming its a standard 1/2" BSP thread) With a 15mm service valve and a short piece of 15mm tubing
Make up tail by fixing tube to one side of service valve and discard nut and olive from the other end and wrap with PTFE tape
Turn off both radiator valves, release any pressure in radiator with vent key, remove vent plug, have "tail" you made up ready to fit, You will loose a bit of water,
Then attach hose to tail , open up lockshield, and drain as above untill its clear of air

when you bleed rads do you get water, after the air, or do you get nothing out after a few seconds?

Best thing to try is back filling the system. Its a 2 man job.

connect the hose at the normal place you drain of from and the other end of the hose to a tap, open drain off then open the tap slowly, it does not need to be on fast, about half a turn depends on your water pressure.

now vent the faulty rads. turn off water and drain off.

Hope this helps.

I got this same problem after changing the trv's this afternoon on 2 of my rads, only a few and I mean a few rads work. The others are stone cold.

I've tried the classic stuff also. Bled Rad's, bled those niple things and still no joy. At first I was worried there was no water in the rads but this is ok. as after a lot of air from some of the rads all release water. The small tank has plenty of water and fills ok, the pump all ok. Its a standard bolier tank cylinder and the like.

I'll try some of the suggestions below and let you know how it goes tomorrow very annoying!

PS: I'd get the plumber back round, after all you've paid him to do a job and its gone wrong...

All complete rubbiish. open vented systems are notoriously sh*ite you have drained the system for the first time in what is about 20 years and having problems. You woke the Monster up. ;)

All complete rubbiish. open vented systems are notoriously sh*ite you have drained the system for the first time in what is about 20 years and having problems. You woke the Monster up. ;)

Your so helpfull :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back