Airlock in Potterton COmbi 80 system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas to you all.

Some of you will remember all the difficulties i was having with my system before Christmas, basically pump was knacked so no heat, replaced pump, everything fine for a week then nothing.

I got a plumbe in who diagnosed an airlock, he spent some time forcing the air out of the AAV with good results. He started to balance the system by opening one rad fully, controlling the flow once hot with the lockshield, then turning off the feed to that rad and repeating the proces on the next rad.

He left me to complete the process after he had balanced the first 3 downstairs rads. This is when it went downhill, i balanced the 4th using his method but when i tried to balance upstairs they struggled and then downstairs went cold again.

I have tried starting from the beginning again but to no avail.

Have you any suggestions on how to make sure the airlock is gone myself and set up the system, before i call this guy back?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Most pump failures are caused by dirt in the system.

Merely replacing the pump without dealing with the underlying problem is not going to provide a long term cure.

I suspect the new pump, with tighter bearings, has just seised up.

You can probably get it going again by unscrewing the large black nut anticlockwise, pulling it outwards a little to engage it with the rotor and rotating it in each direction a few times.

Tony Glazier

Pump is at full speed.

System was mildly dirty, has been flushed at time of pump replacement and has a cleaning fluid in there at the moment doing its stuff.

As said a plumber has been to inspect it and is more than certain that it is an airlock. He did get it going but couldn't hang around long enough to complete the balancing. I have the option to bring him back (obviously at a small cost) but wondered if there was anything i could do myself to try and force the air out before i troubled him (he is a friend of the family who will be working at mates rates so i don't particularly want to put on him at this time of year).

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
OK, I think you have some rads working then.

I do have to say that I dont understand this fellows balancing technique. Or perhaps its an air movement exercise.

I would suggest you turn on each rad by only half a turn and review which ones are working and which ones are not for a start.

Tony

Whatever i do, NO rads are working. However i set the system the Hot Water doesn't travel more than a few inches down the CH outlet.

Help the house is literally freezing. How do i foce this airlock out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back