Alarm back up battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :?:
Have got a veritas excell alarm system, we had a power cut last week and alarm was activated shortly after this but had to disconnect battery to stop alarm,when mains power came back on i reconnected battery and all was ok, the power indicator lights are showing steady, but i am worried if we get another power cut and i am not at home, how can i check if battery is ok (as i understand it when mains power fails the back up 12v battery should take over without going into alarm unless the battery voltage is low)

Thanks
Keith

Sponsored Links
If you don't have a drop tester , then just turn the mains off one day , the panel should carry on as if nothing has happened ( for about 8 hours).If it doesnt , as yours didnt , then replace the battery , if possible with a larger capacity.

If you don't have a drop tester , then just turn the mains off one day , the panel should carry on as if nothing has happened ( for about 8 hours).If it doesnt , as yours didnt , then replace the battery , if possible with a larger capacity.

i am sorry that is absolute tosh.

its all very well saying if possible chnage with a battery of bigger capacity, where is it going to go? can the panel charge it?
no to both.

the fact the battery did not last that long indicates the battery needs replacing, its as simple as that.

i am sorry that is absolute tosh.

its all very well saying if possible chnage with a battery of bigger capacity, where is it going to go? can the panel charge it?
no to both.

the fact the battery did not last that long indicates the battery needs replacing, its as simple as that.

Hi, I'll take issue with part of that,
the Excel panel is capable of taking a range of batteries - 1.2, 2.1, 3.0 & 7.0Ah, all different sizes so they will all fit inside the panel also they are all capable of being charged by the Excel

Sponsored Links
If you want to be alkward about it, fine, but i thought better of you.

Most panels will quite happily support a variety of sizes of battery up to 7Ah,
The size of battery should be big enough to run the system for a minimum of 8 hours (its now 24)

The actual capacity of battery should be calculated at time of quotation. As a battery is not 100% efficiant you should always opt to install "the next available size".

This results in people installing the biggest battery a panel will accept regardless of the current demand.

So although what you wished to take issue with is technicaly correct, no one ever bothers, so your point becomes null and void. (sorry)

I suggest that the current battery (no punn intended) is in fact flat (or oblong) and all that requires to be done is to install a new one of the same capacaity.

if possible with a larger capacity.

if its a 1.2 if possible change to a 2.1

if its a 2.1 if possible change to a 3.2

if its a 3.2 if possible , and it is , change to a 7.0

the Veritas range get a bit grumpy if they don't have sufficient backup.

If I find a system with insufficient battery capacity , I increase it, simple as.

Hence the free advice.

Thanks for your advice guys, ok i need a new battery, where is best place to get a good deal on a new battery

Thanks
keith

Just click on the SHOP tab at the top of the page, click through to security , batteries.
Or you may have a CEF / Screwfix or similar nearby.

Hi :?:
Have got a veritas excell alarm system, we had a power cut last week and alarm was activated shortly after this but had to disconnect battery to stop alarm,when mains power came back on i reconnected battery and all was ok, the power indicator lights are showing steady, but i am worried if we get another power cut and i am not at home, how can i check if battery is ok (as i understand it when mains power fails the back up 12v battery should take over without going into alarm unless the battery voltage is low)

Thanks
Keith

i am not familiar with your panel

however you say that in order to silence the system you had to remove the battery

so i take it that the code did not operate

the battery must have had some power in it to sound the system although it could still be faulty

replace it any way

someone has already stated that these panels can be grumpy if power is low

if your code did not operate it may be that at the moment of power cut a spike or pulse came along the mains supply locking the panel

i always like to fit a filter at the spur such as the mains filter from
Interface Solutions www.interfacesolutions.uk.com they are based in Little Lever Lancs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back