Alarm hardware to ADSL socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi,

I have just moved my Yale alarm to a new location and was wondering if the telephone connection can be hard wired to the connectors in the back of my ADSL face plate?

I have attached a few pics of what I am on about. If it's possible does anyone know the pin outs for the connection?

Many Thanks

Will.

Sponsored Links
The wires in that flat cable will be stranded cores, which are not suitable to go into those IDC connections on the back of the ADSL filter. You may get lucky and it'll work for years, or you may get intermittant faults that bug the hell out of you for years instead!!

How does the cable connect at the alarm end? If it's just an RJ11, then you could run some solid core cat5e between them and crimp on an RJ11 plug which is designed for solid core, then punch that cable into those IDC connections.

You will need a multimeter though to check your existing cable, as those RJ11 to 431a (ie BT plug) cables can be wired straight through or crossover (some equipment will work if you get them the wrong way round, some equipment won't).

Lots of info here...
http://sined.co.uk/olddemon/surftime/wiring.htm

Gaz :)

If you do just want to risk it with the stranded cable, cut the BT plug off and strip the piece you have cut off like this just to check the colours. You can see how the wires come out in a line with flat cable, relating to the numbers on the socket. (pins 1 and 6 aren't used)

BTplugnumberscolours.jpg

You may have different colours in your cable, but just lay it out like this to work out your own colour code. Then strip the other cut piece and punch them into the IDC holes using a tool like this.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi,

Got exactly that wire combination but unfortunately it doesn't work. The alarm doesn't make a call :(

Any ideas?

Cheers

Will

Hi,

Just an update, looking at the rj11 on the other end with the clip sticking up I have from left to right yellow green red black.

Does that help?

Many thanks

Will.

rj11 on the other end

Unplug that end and plug it into the underside of an ordinary house phone and see if you can make/receive calls(or even hear a dial tone of course). This will check whether the IDC connections have made contact.

A cable like that ought to use 24awg stranded wire, which ought to connect into an IDC connection (albeit not designed to, as warned), but a cheapo lead could use thinner wires in the cable like 26awg, which won't make contact.

What tool did you use to push the wires into the IDC slot?

image.jpeg
Hi Gaz,

Sorted it. The alarm only had two active wires. So I connected them to pins 2 and 5 on the back of the ADSL face plate. To overcome the wire width I stripped of the end and bent back the bare wires on itself and then punched it in with a punch tool.

Thanks very much for your help, I now have a hard wired alarm that will call me when triggered.

Cheers
Will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back