Alarm sensors - is this faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have those sensors in place that flash red now & then. We've had to disconnect the one in the living room as the walls were being plastered. That would light up red from time-to-time.

Thing is, we've noticed the one in the dining room has never lit up red at all that we can think of. We were stood there tonight watching it & nothing.

Does it HAVE to light up now & then to be working (meaning ours is faulty?)? or can it work without being lit up?

Sponsored Links
4 things one it's not connected to alarm , two it's upside down (yes I have seen this !) 3 the led jumper has come off ( if it has one )4 no power to detector

I recently fitted new pet friendly PIR sensors which have a light to indicate that they've been triggered, like you mention. However the instructions say that the light is to be used during set-up ie to make sure the sensor protects the correct area, and once set-up is finished the light should be switched off. It was either a switch or a jumper in the sensor to enable/disable the light.

Why not test yours by setting your alarm with someone in your dining room but not moving, then moving about once the alarm has settled? If it doesn't set the alarm off there's something wrong.

Ah - interesting that you mention the pet thing because that was the room that the previous owner kept their dog in.

Sponsored Links
As always, go with Sparkymarka's suggestions. For (1), did you disconnect the wiring? If so, check the colours against a working one to make sure that you got it right ;) . Check for (2) by waving your hand in front of it, (3) by doing a walk test and (4) by seeing if the other PIRs are working (you could have blown the AUX fuse).

A walk test is quieter than setting the alarm off, if you want to test it.

It's not the correct way ! Depending on control panel ! It may work fine in walk test ...but not activate the system depending on the setting.. A full alarm test is the correct way

No not at all.

To check whether it is just the led switched off (as correct) or faulty PIR or a sensitivity check a walk test is most correct and appropriate.

The OP was concerned no led coming up.

Sure a final commission would be a full set but until then you are just going to cause an unnessary racket and lessen the effect of a house alarm (folk ignoring another one going off when people are at home).

Wrong! Example old da abacus panel still a few around, user part sets system after the part set he does a walk test , some zones DONT walk test as they where off in the part set, as we don't know what panel it is you can't say just do a walk test..

QFA, but, there hundreds of Abby 8s around, a good, old and stable 'bells only' panel.

Apart from the last ones made in China ! When Bosch got involved ! Lol the old ones where bullet proof.

Wrong! Example old da abacus panel still a few around, user part sets system after the part set he does a walk test , some zones DONT walk test as they where off in the part set, as we don't know what panel it is you can't say just do a walk test..
So you quote one panel where a walk test isn't right - but actually it as probable that it is, one way would be to do the walk test first.

Okay, I'm not always right. Lets take a count of folk on here.

For a unnamed panel (the OP didn't say): Who would see if this detector is working whilst no led, firstly by (1) a walk test or (2) a full set test.
Just stick (1) or (2).

My twopeneth = (1)

So you quote one panel where a walk test isn't right - but actually it as probable that it is, one way would be to do the walk test first.

Okay, I'm not always right. Lets take a count of folk on here.

For a unnamed panel (the OP didn't say): Who would see if this detector is working whilst no led, firstly by (1) a walk test or (2) a full set test.
Just stick (1) or (2).

My twopeneth = (1)
Fine, but doing both is best, the panel might be faulty and no alarm condition of any sort given

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back