Alarm system installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking for guidance/advice with the installation of an alarm system. I have recently moved into a 3 bed end of terrace and feel an alarm is a sensible addition. Ideally I would like to install it myself. I have done some research and I'm more confused than ever. I have been told that alarm systems not 'connected' to the local police station are a waste of time and that wireless systems are unreliable. Help please, I bow to your superior knowledge :confused:

Sponsored Links
put yourself in the burglars shoes.

are you going to wait and find out if the police turn up?

The radio advice is true

If I was a burglar, no I wouldn't wait to see if the police turned up. But I think i'd make a crap burglar (too honest). It was actually an electrical contractor at work who used to fit alarm systems for one of the big security companies who said that alarms that aren't attached to the police are a waste of time.

i wouldnt believe him, still every one is entitled to their opnion

Sponsored Links
Ok it makes my life easier to have one that's not connected to the police, as it will save me the installation fee and annual charges. :)
Any thoughts on wireless systems versus hard wired?

Hi I am looking for guidance/advice with the installation of an alarm system. I have recently moved into a 3 bed end of terrace and feel an alarm is a sensible addition. Ideally I would like to install it myself. I have done some research and I'm more confused than ever. I have been told that alarm systems not 'connected' to the local police station are a waste of time and that wireless systems are unreliable. Help please, I bow to your superior knowledge :confused:

have a look at the gardtec 490X - radio and built in vo-com,

have a look at the gardtec 490X - radio and built in vo-com,

save time, do as i suggested first

built in rss( reciever signal strength)with background noise meter, adjustable threshold limits and supervision time and 2 weeks notice of low battery warning. It`s radio Jim but not as you know it

and it`s got a built in dialler too

whoopeee.

most radio alarms have signal strength ability (if you know where to find it)
most radio alarms give 1 month minimum low battery warning

most radio alarms you can turn the supervisory bit off (I wonder why)

keypad allocation, prox tag setting and unsetting,radio keyfob with individual messaging when identified users set and or unset the system, plus ring you when it activates.

the future of radio systems - today

nah joking apart it`s a good little panel for the money and it`s very quickly become our default installation, have a look at it manbey1 you`ll be okay

every time a new radio system comes out you think , "Wow, this is great" some time later you regret saying that when you find out the truth

every time a new radio system comes out you think , "Wow, this is great" some time later you regret saying that when you find out the truth

like I say to the O/P have a look at it - it`s an ideal solution to your problem, it`ll take wireless if you need it and is the middle ground between " between bells only" and a monitored system

and no LOL, I dont work for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back