Alarm wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little of a boo boo on my own part of not checking it was done completely done before leaving the job after leaving the lad to it......

but essentially the problem is am missing a cable to either a PIR on the landing or to the siren. As there's only one cable in the loft and I need 2.

My question being, is there any way i can use the single 6 core to power and operate both devices?

IE. series between the 2, using red and black as 12 +/-, then a pair for the PIR relay and another pair as trigger and return in the siren?

I know this means i won't have tamper at the PIR, but being a landing one, it'd be triggered before being tampered with, although only when the system is armed.

The panel is and accenta and the siren is a Reson8.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
**** poor really.

Do you need the pir?

The siren tamper used to be the - supply.

The 5&6 wires get used for the strobe these days.

Can't you use it as a draw string and pull another 2 thru or is it too late.

I know it's mega **** poor. Getting a new cable there is a mega no no, block and beam floor and already plastered.

Like I say, my own fault for not confirming all was completed.

Can't really do away with the PIR, but figured without the tamper and strobe it could all be made to work?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It's possible.

But does it comply with 50131?

I have not done a full install since the demise of BS4737 so I don't know if standards have changed. Having said that, I can't remember if it was allowable under 4737...

I know it's mega p**s poor. Getting a new cable there is a mega no no, block and beam floor and already plastered.
That can all be made good again after you've rectified the problem

Like I say, my own fault
Good that you recognise that.

All you have to do now is to accept who has to foot the bill for it to be put right.

Am so annoyed right now!
Not half as annoyed as the client who paid a professional to do a professional job and ended up with a ****-up because the so-called professional couldn't be rsed to do his job properly.

BAS

Dazz knows there has been a c*ck up, He has said it's his fault that he didnt check his lad's work.

He has come here for help, not criticism. Why do you bother to post if you have nothing constructive to say? Every topic you have engaged in has become more antagonistic and three times longer than necessary since you returned from your self- imposed exile.

Generally I have been a supporter of yours, but not on you current form. Please turn the invective control down, thank you.

Are there other PIRs on the same floor as the landing?

Just wondered if the landing PIR and another PIR could be wired together as one zone?

You could go for a system that uses expanders, like a texecom premier. Fit an expander in the loft (only four cores required to panel).

The expander has a 8 programmable outputs and 8 zones.

Use the zones for the PIR and bell tamper, the outputs for the bell/strobe.

How to connect bell box to an expander with full monitoring etc is detailed in instructions. It's commonly done where an extra bell box is wanted someway from the panel.

Fully compliant, and not too expensive. Have a look at www.securitywarehouse.co.uk.

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=366

I don't know your panel or bell very well, but you could procede as follows (I am assuming that you're not using FSL/EOL in the PIR):

Run the cable to the PIR and use one pair for power (red and black?) and one pair for the contact (blue and yellow?). Connect the green (say) into one side of the tamper. Continue running the cable out of the PIR to the bell connecting the red and black for the power. Take the green from the other side of the PIR tamper and the white goes straight through. At the bell, use the red and black for the power, the green for the tamper return and the white to trigger both the bell and the strobe at the same time.

This will get you out of a hole but... The strobe won't flash after the bell stops and a tamper on the PIR will show up as bell tamper.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you document it fully (with words, diagrams and the colours of the cores) and leave a copy in the panel. This will really help the next poor b4st4rd who has to sort out a fault! :evil:

Next time, use 8-core... :LOL:

Well, For the hardwired zone wiring, you need at least three core cable. Which can provide the power supply (+, -) to the PIR motion sensor, and the other one is for zone +, this means you can share the ground (-) as COM.

Due to the hardwired zone connection with EOL resistor protection, even you only use three core cable, you still can use the tamper. Just wiring the tamper into zone in series, then it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back