Alarm wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an ADT system at present that has motion sensors (little white boxes with a red light that comes on) in all the relevant rooms.

I'm having my loft converted at the moment at it has suddenly occurred to me that I should have a sensor or two up there as well.

I thought I could get my builders to run the wires and then perhaps get ADT to link it up.

So two very stupid questions

1) Is the wire 8 core cable?

2) Does the wire from each sensor have to feed back to the main box, or can the sensors daisy chain from each other.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
1, Could be.
2, Is it an old ID panel or a newer EOL one?

Why do you want detection in the loft? Is or are the new windows accessible?
Although if you have panic buttons it would be good to extend these into the area. Possibly a smoke alarm as well wired into the system.

As your with Aunty I assume there is a contract in place. You will need to go through them to extend. If not the moment you open the panel it will probably need a reset from them, at a cost.
There are of course alternatives.

1, Could be.
2, Is it an old ID panel or a newer EOL one?

Why do you want detection in the loft? Is or are the new windows accessible?
Although if you have panic buttons it would be good to extend these into the area. Possibly a smoke alarm as well wired into the system.

As your with Aunty I assume there is a contract in place. You will need to go through them to extend. If not the moment you open the panel it will probably need a reset from them, at a cost.
There are of course alternatives.

Thanks.

1) I wanted detection in the loft because somebody might to able to get in from low first floor stairs window and then go up into the loft.

2) Can you tell me how I tell the difference between an older ID panel and newer EOL one?

3) Yes I'm under contract with ADT. I would get them to connect it but if I could run the wires now whilst my work is going on it would save them having to drill holes etc later on.

Thanks

What is written on the panel?
Have you a picture of the keypad?

If new, probably a 8 core to each point would be suffice, so a radial to each point from the panel.
8 core as it will have the capacity to allow for expansion in the future and just in case of damage.

Sponsored Links
EOL panel.
So radials are needed or a loop thru, you can put 3 detection devices on a 8 core. One pair for common power and the other 3 pairs for the detection.

So 3 devices on one 8 core.

Just get ADT to run the wires in. We (not ADT) dont like connecting to cables run in by 3rd party builders, they are usually run with mains, sited in wrong corners etc etc

6565##

Dot sot dash thrash

Hey m8ty, would you have Aunty lash cables about in your home?

This is what will happen, unless they fit a wireless module.
Would rather I had it all hidden by my builder.

Ask for a free survey for ideal positions from Aunty

Fair play after today i'd agree!

We do a lovely Gal 60 in Altrincham on a domestic. 40+ sensors, Classic pretty tidy tbh. Take over a year or so

Just got back from wiring the extension, ffs!!! Builders have hacked most of the ceilings down at the rear of the property, the tidy job on the surface was a mess beneath the boards! Got 8 cores looping through door contacts to PIRS, pet hate, make the door the last one ffs!

Cables were just thrashed everywhere. Ended up ripping most of these out, and rewiring back to panel Least I know know where they start and end now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back