Alcove cabinet - What type of paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was inspired by this photograph to build my own alcove cabinets in each alcove of the lounge in my new home.

I have built the cabinet using soft redwood and pine. I am really pleased with the result and now need to finish them.

I have no idea what paint is best to use to get a result as good as can be seen in the photo. I am looking for a high quality smooth durable finish in white.

Any ideas and good advice on technique would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

View media item 25292

Sponsored Links
I'd go for satinwood.

gloss, as it ages, tends to look imperfect on timber surfaces as they tend to have grain and to become uneven, especially if softwood.

Sponsored Links
They look great.

The units will need priming, waterbased primer/undercoat will be quick to apply. After two coats sand it back with 180grit silicon carbide paper.

depending on the depth of grain on the ply you might want to apply more coats.

i prefer oil based eggshell for the finish coats (a min of 2).

Since the 2010 VOC compliance there is less difference between eggshell and satinwood than previously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back