Alcove cupboards, drawers and bookcases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, I am faced with the task of building and fitting the above in our house and am struggling to design something which looks nice and fulfils our needs.

We have cables coming out of the top middle of the alcove walls to accommodate lighting to be incorporated into the shelving somehow. I was thinking of creating a small void at the back of the units to allow the cable to run where it needs to go. Same goes for speaker cables, coming from the left/right of the ceiling respectively and running down the wall to the speakers.

I want to have shelves which can be adjusted on the bookcase.

The cupboards cannot be wall to wall because we have floor standing speakers which cannot be moved or raised.

There are sockets on the walls which need to be incorporated within the cupboards.

I have seen people incorporating nooks to place firewood in, but am not sure how to incorporate into the design.

What do people think is the best appearance wise in relation to the cupboards overlapping the chimney breast wall?

Should the tops supporting the book cases overlap at the front and if so, how much?

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this project?

upload_2019-4-4_23-9-35.png

upload_2019-4-4_23-13-34.png

upload_2019-4-4_23-13-7.png

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What exactly sounds like a bad idea? Are you referring to the TV above the fireplace? There is a mantelpiece stopping heat from going straight up towards the TV if that is what you are worried about.

If not, please be more specific.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back