Aligning floor and wall tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am retiling the bathroom wall and floor with 330 x 450 ceramic tiles. Which is the best way to align the tile joins on the walls with those on the floor so that they look in-line? Obviously I can get them in-line off one wall, but the joints will be staggered against the adjoining wall :confused: Is there a 'rule of thumb' or am I over complicating it :eek:
Also i plan to run a strip of mosaic tiles across the top line of tiles (at about shoulder height) and then just paint above......should i fix some edging strip on the top edge of the mosaic tile or is it customary to leave as is and just fill gaps with grout?

Thanks for your advice. :)

Sponsored Links
Always start in the centre of the wall and work out this will ensure even cuts at each side and this centre line can then be continued along the floor and up the other wall :rolleyes: . Confused you yet?
If so re-post and i will try again.

As for the top edge, do what you want, however a plastic edging strip gives a better finish and its easier to keep clean.

Thanks Julio.
What about the wall that is perpendicular to the wall I start on and base the floor laying on? As the tiles are rectangular, these tiles won't align with the floor tiles :(
I think I should have bought square tiles :eek:

Sorry, the penny has just dropped. I obviously didnt read youre first post properly. Mmmmmmmm.......Mmmmmmm

This is a difficult one :confused:
I cant think of anything at the mo, in fact there's no way around it.
Sorry :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
hi, i`m new to this site but i just read your post and completely agree with julio, there is no way around this. the only option i can see is either change the tiles for square or if the floor tiles are a different design to the wall tiles it should`nt be a problem especially if you use a different colour grout for the floor. your eyes will never be drawn to the off set of grout lines

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back