Solid mosaic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit 300mm square solid mosaic tiles, i.e. they are one tile but divided into several smaller 'tiles' with 'grout lines' inbewteen, not like the mosaic tiles on a mesh sheet. The shop told me not to leave space for grouting and when fixed to go over the whole lot with grout so as to make the entire wall look as if it has been done with separate smaller tiles - which is fair enough. Will the tiles expand or contract and if so will this cause buckling as there is no grout inbetween them?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Check the grout width when you join 2 tiles together.

If it is the same as the grout width in an individual tile, then butt them together, it will have been designed like this. If you space out the tiles it will look awful, with wider grout patterns every 300 m/m.

If the grout width of 2 joined tiles is smaller than an individual tile, then you will be able to space them to give the same grout width...

The point being, your grout width should be the same all over to hide the 300 m/m square effect.

There should be no step at the edge of the tiles so that you should be able to use a spacer in between the tiles. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to fit tiles with no spacers. I've seen too many tiles that have tented away from the wall due to being butt laid.

Thinking about it gcol is right, do not butt them.

But if this means your grout width will be too wide, compared to the "fixed tiles". Then if possible trim them to allow a gap for grout.

Nothing worse than seeing wider grout lines horizontally/vertical every 300 m/m, giving you a chequer board effect. It will look awful.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
trazor said:
Then if possible trim them to allow a gap for grout.
Are you sure this is what you meant to say?

Not quite with you..... If the edges of these 300 m/m square tiles have a grout line, which when doubled is wider than than the fixed tile width, and then you space them, the width of grout will be much much wider than is required, in which case yes, I would trim them.

If as you suspect there is a raw edge, then there will not be a problem.

I am only suggesting ( if it is present ) that the external grout line be trimmed, NOT the tiles themselves. The cut edges would be hidden by the grout.

You are probably right though and the shop possibly gave duff info.

I'd be surprised if the tiles had a grout groove at the edges of the tile, but if they do they're gonna look daft unless you butt lay them. But as I've already said, you don't butt lay tiles like these.
You don't want to be trimming the edges of all the tiles just so you can have a grout gap - you want to be taking them back to the store and changing them.
That aside, if these tiles are to go in a shower area, I'd reconsider anyway. All that grout will discolour after a while and look grubby. Regrouting mosaics is not something you want to do.

Each tile has a grout line on the edge. When butted together the two edge grout lines are the same width as the grout lines within the tile.

Why sell these tiles if it is not practical to butted them together? I agree with what you guys have said, a wider grout line every 300mm will look well dodgy. The store I got them from is a pretty big outfit and the tiles themselves weren't cheap.

Oh dear. Well the choice is yours then:
1. Put em up butted*
2. Take em back and change em for something else
3. Put em up with a gap as normal (bearing in mind they'll look daft)

* I've often found that tiles can be just slightly different sizes in the same batch - this is not generally a problem when you have a grout gap because you can always pinch a bit here and there. When you butt tiles, you don't get this option. Be prepared for the tiles running out of alignment if you go down this route.
Personally, I wouldn't fit them.

Just one extra point...300 m/m square tiles will need a very flat wall to fit them on, otherwise it will be awkward to get them flat to each other

trazor said:
Just one extra point...300 m/m square tiles will need a very flat wall to fit them on, otherwise it will be awkward to get them flat to each other
Correct - a fact that will be more evident if you butt lay the tiles too.

Bugger that, they are going back. I think I will stick to smaller plainer ones. The wife ain't going to be pleased but I'm sure she will get over it.

Cheers for all the advice guys, much appreciated!

gcol
had the Top advice here ....
although you can mess about an get them the job ...right /Boss
just very fiddly...lol...lol..lol nightmare :)

to OP
as said ditch them an give them a right boll*xz for it !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back