Using glass mosaic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to use glass mosaic tiles as a border between ordinary bathroom tiles - are they the same thickness? (I'm thinking of a sheet rather than individual ones from a craft shop).

On a similary theme, if not using mosaic tiles but border tiles, would it look really naff if the border tiles were a different width from the other tiles (i.e. if the vertical lines of grout didn't line up?)

thanks

Fliss

Sponsored Links
The way I tend to do mosaic borders is to tile upto the border level with the wall tiles. I then cut strips of 6mm MDF or similar to the width of the border (mosaic + joints). These strips are tacked along the wall anfd the main tiling carried on up from there. Once the adhesive has setup I remove the timber and fix the mosaics using a grout float to push them flush with the tiles above & below.

If the thickness difference is not too much then standard adhesive will be OK but if it's quite a bit then a powdered adhesive such as BAL mosaic-fix will be better at the greater thickness.

Cut the sheets into strips to whatever width you want, 1,2, etc mosaics, dont worry about trying to match the joints with the wall tiles, just work away from any external corners so you have a full mosaic at the edge and no sharp edges.

Should look something like this when it's done.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back