Newbie mosaic tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am about to embark on my first tiling job. I have never done any tiling before but the time has come to tile the bathroom.

I'm going to be using white mosaic tiles that come in sheets with a mesh backing. I have read up on tiling, but couldn't find anything specific to mosaics. With normal wall tiles, I have read that you should fix a batton to the wall to get your first line of tiles straight.

Does this also apply to mosaics?
Do mosaics suther from slippage as much as larger tiles?
Is there anything I should be aware of regarding mosaics?

Thanks for any advice you can give,
Jord

Sponsored Links
the idea odf a batten across the bottom is to give you a strait level edge to start from, so yes it does apply.

by far the best way is to remove the little tiles and stick them on one by one :LOL:

Use a mosaic trowel with small 4mm notches, this will reduce slipping and excess adhesive squeezing out between the mosaics.

Premixed or powdered adhesive can be used, I use BAL whitestar or BAL mosaic fix, don't use a combined adhesive & grout.

Glass mosaic will take longer for the adhesive to firm up than stone mosaic but slipping should not be a problem with the right adhesive.

Use a grout float to press all the mosaics into the adhesive, that way they all go in nice anf flush.

Jason

are you out of your mind breezer, mosaics come on sheets for a reason. that reason is so they are easier to fix in a sheet not one by one

Sponsored Links
p.pittstop said:
are you out of your mind breezer, mosaics come on sheets for a reason. that reason is so they are easier to fix in a sheet not one by one

masona is right (as usual)

masona said:
breezer is only joking

i actually wrote

breezer said:
by far the best way is to remove the little tiles and stick them on one by one :LOL:

why do you suppose i put the :LOL: there, besides why be dull all the time, i thought it was funny

Thanks for the advice - that was very helpful. I will let you know how I get on. I think I'll stick them on in sheets rather than one at a time though :LOL:

Cheers,
Jord

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back