All doors glossed - still 'sticking' 4 days later

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Had my hallway decorated by decorators and they finished on Thursday. Everything was sanded right down to almost original undercoat and the handrail and spindles all had a coat of undercoat (as they had been painted with a really dark cherry paint before) and then a coat of Crown Quick Dry, whereas the skirting boards and doors had a coat of Crown Quick Dry applied.

They then went on to Crown Solo for a final coat, as the Quick Dry did look pretty awful, and even when they started to second coat one of the doors, it still looked 'streaky'.

The hallway was finished on Thursday. It's now Tuesday and it doesn't feel as though the paint has fully cured still.

The doors are still 'squelching' when closed and then opened (although no paint coming off) - the step into my study is still 'sticky' when you walk on it in my slippers with plastic grip (although nothing sticks to it and is fine with just socks) and the handrail marked easily yesterday when the vacuum cable rubbed against it. It rubbed off easily enough, but thick black lines appeared.

All the doors and handrail also feels a bit...rubbery.

I thought it was the oil based gloss, but yesterday I painted the internal 'front door' frame on the porch side with the water based Quick Dry Crown. I'd rubbed down and applied one thin coat of undercoat to the frame (as old blue paint was showing through), and then, 2-3 hours later (with the undercoat recoatable in 2) I applied a thin coat of Crown Quick Dry to the frame. The door had been painted about a week ago on this side. I'd finished painting it by 11:30 yesterday, and left it open with the front door open all of yesterday until 18:00. I left the internal door open until 21:00 when I closed it for the evening. I came down this morning...the front door had stuck and has peeled off some of the paint from the door on to the frame, and vice-versa. So it's not just the oil paint that's 'sticking'.

Any ideas?

Could it be the sheer amount of paint that has been applied during this time (gloss on skirting boards, eight doors, handrail and spindles, plus the emulsion on all the walls?) making it so long to dry out?

Would a dehumidifier on help at all?

Final question I guess is...will the 'squelching' and slightly rubbery feel ever go?

Sponsored Links
for the sticking doors:

get some Vaseline and a soft rag. Apply it lightly to both the touching surfaces and polish off. The objective is not to leave it greasy, just polished.

A dehumidifier will not help, but lots of fresh air will.

Thanks for the response. Would that only temporarily fix the issue, or will the door stop sticking after a while itself? It's reduced now, but if you close a door all night and then open it the morning after, even a week after the glossing was finished, you still get a squelch noise.

Also, all of the gloss still feels really...rubbery. Or I suppose even oily.

With the other side of the doors (still with the old oil gloss paint on) they're really smooth and silky to run your hand over. Same with the newer water-based gloss doors we've done.

But with the Crown Solo doors (and skirting boards, hand rails, etc. etc.) while feeling 'smooth' they're not silky, and as you run your hand over them, your hand judders along and sometimes even stops, making a squeeking noise as it goes. That's after a week of them being finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back