All lights out, all sockets still working

Electricians gain much pleasure from calling lightbulbs "lamps" and lamps "luminaires."

Or in some cases "lanterns"

They also like saying that "bulbs" are planted in the garden.

It's just a harmless foible.
That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Also, Americans even refer to Fluorescent Tubes as "bulbs".

Sponsored Links
I think you will find that what happens is that an arc strikes up inside the lamp, rather than a short bit of the filament falling across the support wires. Some such lamps used to include a fuse, to prevent the main supply tripping.
While I consider that you are correct and I have seen this stated elsewhere, do you have a reference which discusses this phenomena?

Frodo,
With regards to a reference which discusses this phenomena there is a nice 'discussion' (but no definitive outcome) here:

Last edited:
Our light circuit breakers were always popping every time a bulb blew when switching it on. GU 10’s in the kitchen (the worse culprits) and SBC candle bulbs in the chandeliers. Changed the kitchen bulbs for LED's a couple of years ago and not had one blow since (would have had to change all 8 bulbs at least in that time) and recently replaced one of the chandeliers with a different lamp that has LED's.

Sponsored Links
Frodo,
Nice 'discussion' but no definitive outcome here:

On a lamp which runs cap uppermost, the current carrying support wires also come down from above, which means that if the filament burns out, it will fall away from the wires rather than being able to short them. Additionally, if you happen to be in sight of a lamp when it blows and trips the MCB you will see a bluish coloured glow, from the arc.

On a lamp which runs cap uppermost, the current carrying support wires also come down from above, which means that if the filament burns out, it will fall away from the wires rather than being able to short them. Additionally, if you happen to be in sight of a lamp when it blows and trips the MCB you will see a bluish coloured glow, from the arc.
Yes.
I do realise that my previous "answer" was "simplistic" and that arcing can take place, as is often evident from the deposit on the inside of a "failed" incandescent "bulb".

However, I still ask, are there any references which discusses this phenomena?

Yes.
I do realise that my previous "answer" was "simplistic" and that arcing can take place, as is often evident from the deposit on the inside of a "failed" incandescent "bulb".

There was nothing simplistic about it, you made a clear statement, which was incorrect, so I corrected you. I don't see a need to provide any references, because the mechanism of tripping is so obvious. How else can a high current flow through a filament which has just burnt out, other than via the process of an arc forming?

There was nothing simplistic about it, you made a clear statement, which was incorrect, so I corrected you. I don't see a need to provide any references, because the mechanism of tripping is so obvious. How else can a high current flow through a filament which has just burnt out, other than via the process of an arc forming?
I am sorry if it appears that I have offended you.
Such was not my intention.
I would REALLY like to have an authoritative reference to how such an "arc" can be produced in the situation concerned, although it would not necessarily "flow through a filament", and I have not been able to find one.

Please advise.

I would REALLY like to have an authoritative reference to how such an "arc" can be produced in the situation concerned, although it would not necessarily "flow through a filament", and I have not been able to find one.

Please advise.

I am not offended, it is just something which is so very obvious it needs no reference to explain it.

The brief arc is formed by the melting tungsten of the filament. The arc has a much lower resistance than the filament, produces more light output, and consumes more current - which results in the MCB tripping.

Please advise.
Plasma.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back