Lighting circuit blown, rplcd wire, lights still dont work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

My lights all went off last night, assumed fuse was blown replaced the wire in ths fuse (I have an old Wylex fuse box) but the lights still arent working.

Can anyone help please?!

Thanks much, W :)

Sponsored Links
Assuming the fuse did not blow again when you switched back on, and none of the lights on the curcuit work, its likely that there is a loose connection on the live feed, either at the first lighting point nearest the CU, or in the CU itself.

If you are happy to remove the CU cover, check the tightness of both the live AND neutral connections, but note that, depending on type of CU, there may be exposed live conductors even with the main switch off.

Check the connections in the ceiling roses, and, depending on how your lighting is wired, behind the switches too (if the feed is looped at the switches rather than at the rose).

Hopefully there won't be a hidden junction box with a loose connection anywhere!

If these checks don't find anything, you are going to need a multimeter to do some fault finding, or a sparks if you don't want to go down that road yourself.

Thanks Dave - pls excuse my ignorance, whats the CU?

Also, 3 of the lights on this circuit are halogen spots/tracks.....would that have an adverse effect on the circuit?

I think I may need to get a sparky for this...is it going to cost me a fortune?!

W :)

CU - Consumer Unit - Fuse Box in your case :)

Wouldn''t expect halogens to have much impact on the fault, seeing that none of the lights on that circuit work. How many separately switched sets of lights are there, BTW, and what is the total wattage installed?

Sponsored Links
I really think you need to buy a multimeter (£10 or so in the high street) before you do anything else. then you can easily test the terminals in the ceiling roses.

Also look for any junction boxes which might have been (wrongly) hidden under the floor.

If you have a neon screwdtiver, throw it in the bin so you are not tempted to use it.

Not the old, snapped the new fuse wire as you tighten the screws up is it? :)

Yep - it was the old tightened the screws and snapped the wore trick - DOH!! Thanks Adam - so relieved I dont care if Im a doofus! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back