All part of the service...or not?

He's only coming round for the free tea!!!

As I mentioned, the post was a bit of a wind up, but I did want to make asome serious points -

first of all it is important for both parties to be very clear about what is expected. This is doubly important for the new tradesman, or the customer who has not used the tradesman before.

secondly, flexibility is essential, but you do get a feel over time for who is trying to take the pee as opposed those who simply made a mistake/forgot to move the telly etc

thirdly, personality is an issue. We don't have to like everyone we meet, but we should be civil and try to chug along. A cheerful disposition is an asset to any businessman -especially if you can fake it!

Also, any incident or dispute will probably be seen in a different way by each party. It often helps to have the other point of view pointed out, to understand how things went wrong, even if we disagree totally with that view. I just thought I'd weigh in behind the poor old spread for a bit of devilment

The free market ensures that we can exercise our choice, that is what improves our services.

Finally PLEASE remember this.

When people are going mad because they are housebound, or confined to quarters, when they get cabin fever or go stir crazy in their cell -what do they say makes them go slowly mad? "Staring at these four walls all day" !!

So imagine how fecked up the poor old plasterer's head is, staring at walls all day everyday, from only a few inches away - the only relief being a ceiling to look at, with time against you - either the stuff is too fast to keep on top of or too slow when you want to get away. The electrician can leave his work half done and come back to it , the decorator can have a spliff * to relieve the monotony. If a chippy runs out of time on the door he is hanging, that does not mean that the last four doors he hung that day will go off and need repairing, unlike the spread with a 40m2 ceiling to trowel up.

That's why we all carry on even though we are beyond help.**

I wish you well with the rest of the job!!

*smoking kills . We do not condone the use of drugs

**that and making money ,rather than doing a 9 to 5 job

Sponsored Links
no, he is coming round because I pay him what he has quoted me on the day he finishes the job (my obligation under the contract) and I know he will do a good job and not give me any hassle (his obligation under the contract).

I know he will be flexible, within reason. I return I will be flexible, within reason.

If he thinks I have been unreasonable he is perfectly entitled not to give me the benefit of his good attitude and good work ethic next time I need decorating services. He can tell whoever he likes that I am a git as long as his story is truthful.

If I think he has been unreasonable I am perfectly entitled not to give him the benefit of my money next time he is touting for business. I can tell anybody I like about his attitude as long as I am truthful.

People are free to ignore my references and his references.

He has never taken a cup of tea off me yet, though he couldn't resist one of my bacon butties :)

secondly, flexibility is essential, but you do get a feel over time for who is trying to take the pee as opposed those who simply made a mistake/forgot to move the telly etc
That is absolutely spot on, and both sides can be guilty of this.

Sponsored Links
Good to see you back again Micilin,,,, ;) where's ya been hiding? :LOL:

Been off since September, had a wee accident and need surgery on leg, also damaged shoulder and elbow. Nothing serious, but can't do much in the line of work. Hence grumpy post above:cool:

Been off since September, had a wee accident and need surgery on leg, also damaged shoulder and elbow. Nothing serious, but can't do much in the line of work. Hence grumpy post above:cool:

Sorry to hear about your accident Micilin,, :cry: you take care,, keep posting, and get well soon. ;)

Sorry to hear about your accident Micilin,, :cry: you take care,, keep posting, and get well soon. ;)

Cheers. Better get to it, what with the recession ending at breakfast time this morning!! been busy?

I have been busy Micilin,,, plenty of plastering, small jobs but they all add up, and all my work is inside at the moment which, with the weather we've had lately, is a bonus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back