All RCBO Consumer Unit - Hagar vs. Curve vs. MK

Sponsored Links
Fitted a Newlec consumer unit this afternoon plastic enclosure with four circuits on RCBOs basically It was a redbadged Volex/Wylex.
hardly anywiring space inside when fitted with the RCBOs would think twice about using again although the quality was alright.

Seen the Curve unit at the ELEX show last June in Manchester and i was very impressed with that plenty of wiring space with the extra height and the quality was good too aswell as the price for a fully loaded unit.
I was going to start using them but Denmans refused me an account although i did get a nice bag and a set of Kew Technic drivers for free which was nice.

Has anyone used one of those GE consumer units with the RCBOs that are the size of normal circuit breakers?

press%20release%20RCBO%20May%2010220.jpg

I haven't found anywhere selling them yet, have seen some on the www which have L&N at the bottom instead of the flylead.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone used one of those GE consumer units with the RCBOs that are the size of normal circuit breakers?

press%20release%20RCBO%20May%2010220.jpg

You seem to be able to get them from here, and they seem _extremely_ cheap. £11.99?!?
http://www.electricalcomponentsdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Compact_Mini_RCBO_Circuit_Breakers.html

They don't seem to do a compact 40A though. Would 40A require larger internals?

Also, bizarrely, 6A, 10A and 20A are in toolstation, but just Type C... (?)
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Cle...Compact+RCBO+6A+30mA+Type+C/d50/sd2685/p97794

The 11.99 ECD ones don't have a neutral flylead. PIA. :cry:

I'm sure someone on another forum did an install using them with a DP. comb busbar. Looked quite neat although I am not keen on mixing and matching CU components, also not keen on the 'no name' / 3 letter devices devices*

*Once saw on RCBO which was still on when flicked to off :eek:

I always thought that was the right thing to do

I don't know if I saw it in a MEM training video or if it was just an assumption. It does seem to make sense, but on the other hand it means you have a very small conductor gripped with a much larger one (or two)

As an update, I'm going to go with the Memshield EAD11R, with the Memshield 3 compact RCBOs. It's not particularly well publicised in the MEM catalogue, and it's hard to find many references or pictures of it online. The best pictures I can find of it are actually from an eBay auction:

The Memshield 3 Compact RCBOs are pretty small and the layout (neutrals and earths at the sides) will be very convenient for me, with all my incoming cables entering from the top of the box. Seems perfect!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EATON-MEM...UK_BOI_CircuitBreakers_RL&hash=item485386d859

Been quoted about £25 per RCBO and about £45 for the consumer unit itself from a local supplier. That sounds OK, as I'm doing this for fun rather than profit. Tempted by the eBay auction, but a bit worried about eBaying something like this. Besides they've already stuck the labels on. :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back