Allowable amount of glass in an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now i know that 25% of the floor area of any proposed extension plus existing window and door areas are allowed without having to install extra insulations as well to the main building , ie cavity wall ,but i am wondering if its based on the size of the total size of the openings or total amount of glass involved minus the frames etc? i am looking to have a roof lantern fitted which obviously has a greater amount of glass than a Velux fiting the same sized opening as well as a 4 mtrs wide pair of bifold doors in a 8 x 4 mtr extension My existing kitchen doors and window plus the wall will be removed and a suitable RSJ put in place . I also have a pair of double glazed french windows in a 1650 x 2100 mm opening in an adjacent lounge which will remain in situ, so in effect the kitchen opening will cover half the width of the rear wall where the extension will be built.Can anyone advise me

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think if it has enough glass, it can be called a conservatory instead of an extension - different planning and different regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back