Almost Embarrassed To Ask

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But not too embarrassed....

Got one of those digital electricity meters but there is no info on it. Is 1 unit equivalent to 1kW?

I'll get my coat...... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Matthew, I thought it probably was. Just looking at buying an ecofan (fan with peltier cell that sits on top of woodburner and turns when woodburner is hot - free electricity) but at £102 I can run my normal electric fan 24hrs a day for almost 5yrs for the same price in electricity.

Theoretically then, using it for 4 hrs a night means I will probably die before I spend the same amount. :eek: :eek:

It really isn't worth trying to save the planet sometimes!

Sponsored Links
Um, a fan that sits on the woodburner?

So you need to make the surface hot for the fan to cool you down?

Um, a fan that sits on the woodburner?

So you need to make the surface hot for the fan to cool you down?

I think the fan is meant to circulate the warm air around the room.

I had one of those woodburner stoves and it was so efficient we had to open the windows to let the heat out :eek:

Thanks a lot Bernard, that is exactly what I have been looking for. I have the same problem as everyone with a woodburner - it gets too hot! I am considering putting some ducting up through the register plate so I can vent some of the air upstairs but in trials I have done there is little airflow. I thought some kind of fan would do the trick and if it can be powered for free then I'm all for it.

Time to make a thermo-electric generator. This will be a laugh!

Yet another good idea - not sure about the 20 ft shipping container that they say contains all the electrical generating equipment :eek:

One unit of electricity = 1kWh = 1kW consumed for one hour!
Or 3.6MW consumed for 1 second! (Replace the service fuse with a nail and your tails might actually last that long)

Disclaimer - your safety may go down as well as up if you replace your service fuse with a nail.

Disclaimer - your safety may go down as well as up if you replace your service fuse with a nail.

Care to elaborate? It of course assumes that you get as far as surviving inserting said nail, which would be far from certain![/b]

Hmm...

1unit = 1kWh = 3.6MJ

(since 1 watt-hour = 1 Joule)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back