Alpha 240E, Noise after shutdown.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently moved into a new house, which is equipped with an Alpha 240E combi boiler. Its quite old, at a guess probably fitted in the mid/late 90's.

I've begun noticing a bang noise from the boiler at first seemingly at random.

As i've been paying more attention, it seems this bang occurs perhaps 1-2minutes after the burner shuts off. It doesnt do it every time the burner turns off, somtimes it can go a full day without me noticing it at all. Whereas sometimes, like this morning, it did it three times. The pump was running continuously this morning as the room stat was calling for heat continuously, and the bangs occurred when the burner was off, though not every time the burner turned off.

Each time it does it, its just one single bang noise, and it sounds metallic. It doesnt sound like pipes rattling, or water hammer, and to me it sounds a bit like thermal expansion/contraction is causing some of the sheet metal to "pop" like you sometimes get with a baking tray in the oven.

Anyone heard of anything similar with this model of boiler?

I think i'm going to get someone out to service it and generally give it a look over given its new to us, but i'm half expecting the sucking-through-teeth and to be told how the boilers ancient/dangerous/cant be repaired/all we can do is fit you a nice new one... So it'd be good to know if folk have heard of this issue before!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back