alpha 240p combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a 240p combi (alpha) not condenser. The fan is always on even when heating and hot water is off, only way to stop it is to turn off boiler at socket. Sorry it`s not always on but sometimes stays on, if you get what I mean, it`s been running for hours this morning.

Sponsored Links
thought the fan runs in these to keep the pilot from going out?

I think these have a two speed fan, it stays on at low speed for the pilot, which you wouldn't normally hear. It sounds like it may be sticking on high speed intermittently, which seems to me like it may be the main pcb faulty. Although that would need to be checked before replacing it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks gents, it`s definitely on at the lower speed, because when cover is off the little paddle thing on top of fan is spinning and when you turn on hot water it goes faster and boiler comes on. Hang on a sec, the selector switch on the boiler when turned to mid position the fan goes off. When turned to select hot water only or over to heating and hot water the fan comes on, but the heating is not on and no hot taps are open. Hope you can understand my ramblings. :oops:

I would check the switch on the gas valve hasn't stuck in the 'lighting' position.

When you depress the knob on the gas valve to light the pilot, it sets the fan to fast for ignition.

PCB's are fairly bullet proof on 240/80's, although have had occasion to change a couple.

The button for igniting pilot seems to be ok, I mean after yu hold it in for thepilot to light, it seems to come back out o.k, fan just keeps going back to slow speed, but sometimes it does go off.

The fan could be tight due to dirt and/or a lack of lubrication and not turning in the slow mode.

The usual advice would be to check it but that means opening the combustion chamber which should only be done by a gas competent person.

Tony

So does that mean that the fan is supposed to run all the time on this boiler albeit at slow speed?

Sorry about the above post, that was the original but it didn`t seem to work, hence this one, i actually posted top post before this one, sorry. :oops:

The fan could be tight due to dirt and/or a lack of lubrication and not turning in the slow mode.

The usual advice would be to check it but that means opening the combustion chamber which should only be done by a gas competent person.

Tony

To late, by the sounds of it his already had the combustion chamber front off! :cry:

I have had cover off, didn`t know it was corgi job. :oops: Think it would be ok for me to lubricate fan?

Personally I do not like lubricating fans. At best it is only a temporary stop gap, at worst it attracts more dust and crud into the bearings/fan :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back