Alpha C23 boiler - hot water in rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A friend of mine has an Alpha C23 Boiler. It recently starting showing an error with the "A" light flashing. The boiler was not igniting. He changed the temp sensor but this did not work.

So he changed the PCB.

Now everytime he turns the hot water on, he gets hot water in the radiators.

Hoping one of you guys may be able to advise what the fault may be.

Naz

Sponsored Links
He/you could just get someone that knows what they are doing.....for the price of the pcb it would have been repaired.......and i would suggest it has more to do with the diverter than the pcb

My guess is you/he have already wasted more than a 'real' repair would have cost

I note that you ( Naz ) does some plumbing work from your other postings.

However, boiler repairs, where they are within the scope of someone who is not gas registered, do usually require a considerable degree of skill and experience.

Changing a PCB is usually involving buying a new one at £100-£150 and that level of expenditure is greater that it would cost to get a professional to properly diagnose the actual cause.

If you cannot diagnose the fault correctly then its usually better to get a professional who can as boiler parts can be expensive. Cahnging a PCB can also cause the new one to fail in the underlying fault has not been identified and fixed first.

A professional soon learns NOT to work for "mates" except at a full arms length and at full rates!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Could it simply be he has connected the board up incorrectly after re-fitting?

Stranger things have happened?

Check the pump connection, as this is only used for ch on this boiler.

DHW just has a flow switch, as this is a twin pipe main HE.

Sorry I forgot something just doing asv's like an automaton takes the edge off your abilities.

He's fitted the wrong pcb. The c23 c27 pcb looks identical and the cb pcb will fit and work except for the fact that when the dhw flow switch triggers it runs the pump.

As he has a byflow heat exchanger when he runs hot water the flow switch triggers and fires the burner modulates it from the dhw thermister but does NOT run the pump (with the correct pcb fitted).

He needs to take the pcb back where he bought it and get the correct part.

Thanks for the replies.

The PCB is definately the correct one. He has tried two PCB's, same problem with both.

There is also no diverter valve.

Alpha part no for the pcb you need is 1.019464.

Parts Center cat no is 453779

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back