Already set cement drying times

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen floor is cement and has been slowly being soaked by water due to a leaking washing machine. After some great advice from the forum I thought I'd dry it out then lay the vinyl as suggested.
I thought I had successfully dried it out using my halogen heater pointing at that area for several hours at a time over the last week. However, only 24 hours after turning off the heater the damp spot appears to be back. How long should it take for the cement to not be saturated any more? Any ideas will be gratefully received.

If it looks like I'm going to have a long wait am I safe to put vinyl down before it dries? Would buying a dehumidifier help or just cause more problems?

(Sorry to those of you who've already read different aspects of my saga three times now!)

Sponsored Links
Considering that you've posted 3 times on this issue - why not now post some pics?

Where exactly was your washing machine leaking? Many W/M's leak from the supply hose, or hoses, not the appliance.

A dehumidifier is unnecessary.

Considering that you've posted 3 times on this issue - why not now post some pics?

Where exactly was your washing machine leaking? Many W/M's leak from the supply hose, or hoses, not the appliance.

A dehumidifier is unnecessary.

Thanks for replying. :D I've tried but I can't get the pics to upload properly. I think it's an issue with my computer issue not the forum.
I've been very unlucky with my kitchen plumbing, first the w/m discharge tube started leaking, which I fixed. Then I noticed that it was dripping from the supply hose because the cowboy plumber I'd employed had put some bits on backwards! Which I fixed. (If you want a job doing properly, etc). Then the discharge tube shot out of the exit pipe because of the way the cowboy plumber had put things in, soaked the electric sockets, shorted the house and flooded the floor. I've now taught myself a bit about plumbing and have done the job again, but properly this time.
So I'm fairly confident that it's not a leak that's still happening. I've run one of those gadgets which tell you if there's a pipe or electric wire behind you wall all over the floor so I'm fairly sure there not a leaking pipe underneath the concrete.
I'm hoping it's just taking forever to dry, especially as I can't have the heater on 24/7 and my central heating has also broken.

According to me, you have tried 3 times to get useful DIY tips, but was not successful. I will advise you to take professional person advice to get your leakage problem sorted quickly.

Sponsored Links
I'd certainly wait a week or two for the concrete to dry out.....after all, it was a long time wet!
Resist laying any surface until it is dry.......as the moisture is being released into the room, a dehumidifier has to help - but I wouldn't be buying one specially for this.
John :)

I'd certainly wait a week or two for the concrete to dry out.....after all, it was a long time wet!
Resist laying any surface until it is dry.......as the moisture is being released into the room, a dehumidifier has to help - but I wouldn't be buying one specially for this.
John :)

Yet again, extremely helpful John. I will take on your advise wholeheartedly. I've been reading up on this subject a lot now thanks to your pointers, so I think the horrible truth is that I'll just have to be patient - not one of my strong points.
Many thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back